Cin's GRAPE PIES...turned out great

Cin’s GRAPE PIES…turned out great

AT THE GRAPE FESTIVAL LASTNIGHT I WANTED TO GET SOME CONCORD GRAPES TO MAKE THE FAMOUS PIES.
WELL… ‘‘IT IS STILL TOO EARLY FOR THE CONCORD GRAPES THIS YEAR’’, THEY SAID. ‘‘BUT WE DO HAVE SOME GRAPES TO SELL’’…
THEY (THE PEOPLE SELLING THEM) TOLD EVERYONE THE GRAPES THAT THEY WERE SELLING WERE ‘‘SEEDLESS’’.

I EVEN ASKED HER, ‘‘ARE YOU SURE, BECAUSE I AM MAKING GRAPE PIES OUT OF THESE’’…SHE ASSURED ME THEY WERE AND WOULD BE GREAT TO USE SINCE I WOULD NOT HAVE TO REMOVE SEEDS…RIGHT!!!..NOTTA!!!

WELL, I’LL NOT BELIEVE THEM AGAIN WHEN THEY TELL ME THEY ARE SEEDLESS…I’M SURE GLAD I CHECK THEM BEFORE STARTING MY PIE BAKING.

THEY WERE INFACT DARK IN COLOR LIKE THE CONCORD, BUT NOT AS DARK AS. EVEN THOUGH THE SEED WERE MUCH SMALLER (THAN IN THE CONCORDS), THEY WERE STILL LITTLE HARD SEEDS.

PEOPLE DO EAT THESE GRAPES W\O REMOVING THE SEEDS…BUT…IF YOU ARE A PERSON WHO HAS A PROBLEM WITH SEEDS, THEN THEY SHOULD NOT BE TELLING YOU\ ANY PERSON THAT THEY ARE SEEDLESS.
JUST BE HONEST, SAY ‘‘THEY ARE SMALL AND YOU CAN EAT THEM, IF YOU HAVE NOT PROBLEMS WITH SEEDS’’.

THIS MORNING I WAS THINKING…WHAT ABOUT PEOPLE WITH DIVERTICULITIS???
THEY WOULD BE IN BAD TROUBLE IF THEY ATE THEM WITHOUT KNOWING THEY WERE EATING SEEDS…AND, SINCE THEY’D BEEN TOLD THE GRAPES WERE SEEDLESS, THEY MAY NOT EVEN KNOW WHY THEY WERE HURTING OR WHAT MAKE THEM BECOME SICK.

PEOPLE JUST NEED TO BE CAREFUL AND NOT ‘‘JUST TAKE SOMEONES WORD AS GOSPEL’’

ANYWAY, TO GET BACK TO MY PIES. 

I STOOD IN MY KITCHEN CUTTING EACH AND EVERY GRAPE OPEN AND REMOVING ALL SEEDS UNTIL I HAD 4 1/2 CUPS, (I FIGURED SINCE I WANTED TO USE THE PULP IT WOULD BE EASIER THAN TRYING TO PEEL THEM, THEN COOK TO SOFT STATE AND RUN THEM THRU A SIV TO REMOVE SEEDS AND THEN ADD THE PULP BACK IN)....I JUST WANTED TO KEEP THE GRAPE HALVES AND PULP INTACT. 

AFTER REMOVING ALL SEEDS FROM GRAPES I PUT THIS RECIPE TOGETHER....THE BELOW AMOUNT IS FOR 1-PIE. 

4 1/2 C  GRAPE HALVES 
1 C  SPLENDA 
1 T  BUTTER 
1 T  LEMON JUICE 

1 1/2 T MINUTE TAPIOCA 

PLACE FIRST 4-INGREDIENTS INTO A MED. STEW POT AND BRING TO A BOIL. 
STIRRED IN 1 1/2 T MINUTE TAPIOCA, CONTINUING TO STIR OVER HEAT UNTIL IT STARTS TO THICKEN. 

POUR INTO YOUR PIE SHELL AND TOPPED WITH ANOTHER PIE SHELL, CUTTING SLITS INTO THE TOP ONE. 

BRUSHED TOP w\MELTED BUTTER AND SPRINKLED RAW-VANILLA-SUGAR ALL OVER THE TOP. 

BAKED IN PRE-HEATED 400dF OVEN FOR 12 MINUTES, THEN REDUCED HEAT TO 350dF AND CONTINUED TO BAKE FOR ANOTHER 25 MINUTES. 

REMOVED FROM OVEN AND MOVE TO COOLING RACK FOR ABOUT 15 MINUTES. 

THEN I DISHED UP A COUPLE OF SERVINGS TOPPING THEM WITH VANILLA ICE CREAM.....FOR ME AND MY HUBBY TO ENJOY. 

YUUMMMO...WAS IT EVER WORTH THE EFFORT, YES, A GREAT GRAPE PIE. MY FIRST, BUT CERTAINLY NOT MY LAST!!!!

I used to make Concord grape pie when I lived in Chicago, but when I moved to California Concord grapes were not available and, of course, they are not available here in Thailand. I do miss that great tasting pie.

I only use the grape pie recipe that I got from my great aunt Mary. I’ll find it and post it.

OH I’D LOVE TO MAKE IT TOO…Cin(\0/)

Aunt Mary’s Grape Pie

1 1/2 lbs (about 4 C.) Concord Grapes-Slip skins off & save. Bring pulp to a boil, reduce heat & simmer 5 minutes. Press through a sieve to remove seeds.

1 C. sugar
1/3 C. flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt

Mix together & add to grape pulp along with

1 Tb lemon juice
2 tb melted butter
the grape skins

Pour into an unbaked pie shell.

1/2 C. flour
1/2 C. sugar
1/4 C. butter

Sift flour & sugar together, cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle on top of pie.

Bake 40 minutes at 400F. Bake on a sheet in cake of spill over.

Note: The next time I make this I think I will cut the grapes in half and remove the seeds, then cook the pulp and skins together. Pushing the pulp through the sieve is a pain in the neck, but the pie is so good, it’s worth it!

This is how I did the grapes. I think cutting the grapes and picking out the seeds would also be a pain.

I guess if we want delicious grape pie, we have to deal with the grapes one way or another! Don’t we?

YES DebC…I ALREADY HAD THIS RECIPE, I WAS HOPING FOR A DIFFERENT ONE (ALTHOUGH IT IS A GOOD ONE, DON’T GET ME WRONG).
BUT I DO LIKE CUTTING THE GRAPES OPEN AND REMOVING THE SEEDS, THEN COOKING THE GRAPES WITH THE PULP AND SKING ON. JUST A MATTER OF PREFERENCE I GUESS…I THINK IT’S WELL WORTH IT.
I THINK NEXT TIME I’M GOING TO REMOVE THE SKINS AND SEEDS THEN JUST USE THE PULP IN THE PIE…MY HUSBAND’S REQUEST (HE DOESN’T LIKE THE SKINS IN IT).
CIN(\0/)