Cold Herb Soup
(makes 4 servings)
butter-flavored cooking spray
3/4 pound (360 g) sweet onion, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons (22.5 g) all-purpose flour
1 16-ounce (454 g) canned low-fat, low-salt chicken broth
3/4 cup (180 ml) water
1 cup (40 g) chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 2/3-ounce (20 g) container frozen chopped chives, or 1/2 cup (20 g) snipped fresh
4 tablespoons (60 ml) minced fresh tarragon leaves
6 springs fresh thyme
1/3 cup (75 g) fat-free sour cream
fresh lemon slices and fresh herbs for garish
- Lightly coat a large saucepan with cooking spray. Add the onion and cook until onion is soft, stirring occasionally. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the broth and water. Bring to a simmer and stir until slightly thickened. Add the herbs and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Remove the thyme sprigs.
- Working in batches, transfer mixture to a food processor or blender and process until smooth, adding the sour cream to the last batch. In a large bowl, combine batches and refrigerate, covered, until cold.
- Serve in small soup bowls with lemon slices and herbs for garnish.
Per serving: 99 calories (5% calories from fat), 6 g protein, 1 g total fat (0.1 g saturated fat), 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g dietary fiber, 2 mg cholesterol, 257 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 1 carbohydrate (1/2 bread/starch, 2 vegetable)