(makes 20 servings)
canola cooking spray
1 1/2 cups (225 g) stone-ground yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 cups (210 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons (22.5 ml) baking powder
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) chili powder
1 small red bell pepper, 4 ounces (240 g) seeded and minced
1 jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and minced
1 3/4 cups (360 ml) plus 2 tablespoons (30 ml) nonfat milk
3 tablespoons (45 ml) canola oil
2 large egg whites
1 11-ounce (330 g) can no-salt-added, no-sugar-added corn kernels, drained
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200C°), Gas Mark 6. Lightly coat a 13 X 9-inch (32.5 X 22.5 cm) metal baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and chili powder Add the bell pepper and chile pepper. Toss to combine.
- In a medium bowl, beat together milk, oil, and egg whites. Stir into dry ingredients. Then fold in corn. Do not overmix.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan and smooth the top with the back of a spoon. Bake until golden, about 30 minutes, until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool in pan on a rack.
- At the site, cut into 20 equal pieces and transfer cornbread to a napkin-lined basket for serving.
Per serving: 115 calories (19% calories from fat), 3 g protein, 3 g total fat (0.2 g saturated fat), 20 g carbohydrates, 2 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 29 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 1 1/2 carbohydrate (bread/starch)