cool bake magic ovens

My grandaughter received one for Christmas and we need more mixes already.
These ovens do not use light bulbs like the old toy ovens, but instead use ice cubes. The mixes list gelatin as a main ingredient so I’m thinking it cools the mixture down to make a “spongy” like cake. The one I tasted was not very good, but she was thrilled. Any thoughts on how I could duplicate these mixes.

thecook -

It is a different concept for baking than the regular easy bake oven. Now for easy bake I have tons of recipes.

The mixes are quite pricey for those as well - so I don’t blame you for making it yourself.

The fact that it is made with ice cubes and uses gelatin - it seems to be more of a jello-type gizmo than a true baker. From what I’ve seen the ice cubes set the gelatin mixture so that it appears to be baked.

The only thing I can say is (unless I can get my hands on one to experiment with) give it time and someone will eventually come out with the recipes like they did for the easy bake.

I was a deprived (LOL) child - I never had an easy bake - but I had something better - the regular oven and I had all the cute little pans - so I still had my little cakes to bake and decorate - only at 350* F!

I keep my eyes open for anything on this and pass it on to you.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help right now.

KW

just to add my 2 cents worth - if this “oven” does not bake with heat of any sort then I would be very careful using recipes - I wouldn’t chance any recipe that has eggs or flour, etc. in it.

You may want to try some no-bake cheesecake recipes and see how it works -

Miracle Cheesecake

1 small box lemon gelatin
1 cup boiling water
1 (12 ounce) can Milnot
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter, melted

In a small bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Chill until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes.
In a large bowl of an electric mixer, whip Milnot on high speed until stiff, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
In another bowl, mix cream cheese, sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Stir in thickened gelatin. Gently fold in whipped Milnot.
In another bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs and melted butter together until blended. Press two-thirds of the mixture on bottom and sides of a 13 x 9-inch pan. Add filling and sprinkle with remaining crumbs. Chill several hours or overnight. Cut into 16 squares and serve chilled.

Maybe there is a chance something like this can be adapted.

Thanks. I’ll keep looking for these recipes also. I’m sure others have the same question. Maybe after I get all the Christmas decorations put away, I’ll experiment.

thecook -

Let me know if you try out the no-bake cheesecake recipe in it at all. I would be interesting to know.

These ovens are still new - so something will pop up for them! We just need to keep an eye out for it.

KW