Using low-fat milk instead of cream lowers the saturated fat content in this hearty dish.
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp finely diced celery
2 Tbsp finely diced onion
2 Tbsp finely diced green pepper
1 package frozen whole kernel corn (10 oz)
1 C peeled, diced, 1/2-inch raw potatoes
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 C water
1/4 tsp salt
to taste black pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
2 Tbsp flour
2 C low-fat (1%) or skim milk
- Heat oil in medium saucepan.
- Add celery, onion, and green pepper and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add corn, potatoes, water, salt, pepper, and paprika. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium; and cook, covered, about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Place 1/2 cup milk in a jar with tight fitting lid. Add flour and shake vigorously.
- Add gradually to cooked vegetables and add remaining milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Serve garnished with chopped fresh parsley.
Yield: 4 servings–Serving Size: 1 cup
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 5 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 5 mg
Sodium: 205 mg