corned beef dinner

I was wondering if it is okay to start boiling corned beef then put it in the fridge for a few hours and start it back up a few hours before eating it. I have to leave in the middle of the day for a doctors appointment and don’t want to leave my gas burner on while I’m gone. Also my husband bought a corned beef without the flavor packet- should I add my own spices to the pot for flavor?

KW- Thanks for the idea- I have a crockpot (but don’t use it as much as I could) The package says it is cured with salt ,sugar & flavorings so I will just cover with water in the crock pot & let it go.

I’m a little late on this, but I agree on tossing out the flavor packet-- it’s just too much. I think corned beef should taste like corned beef. It’s just right as it. I hope it turned out great!

Corn Beef dinner. Put the corn beef in a baking dish, cover with Golden Mushroom soup. Don’t delute. Cover with foil, bake at 325 for 3 hours. Remove, let cool, then slice against the grain. Put back in gravy. Heat oven at 325 for 1/2 hr. before serving.

I agree as well. The packet is too strong. I just cook it with veggies and it has plenty of flavor

Let us know how it turns out please. Thanks!

I like to put a brisket in the crock pot withou any water at all and let go on low for about 8 hours. When you come back you’ll see a lot of liquid in the bottom of the pot. That’s all the fat that melted off and you don’t need anyway. It’s going to be falling apart, but avoid the temptaion to shred it. It will be more tender is you slice it across the grain.

Make sure that you don’t use a pot that’s too big or it might burn using this method. For your standard grocery store brisket I use a 3qrt pot.

Oh, I never season corned beef. The stuff has been injected with brine in the factory. It’s plenty seasoned already.

I often cook one up slice it and put it in a container in the fridge. Get some dark rye and mustard and have some nice corned beef sandwiches.