Country Fried Steak

This recipe is is similar, but not exactly the same, as country fried steak. This is basically breaded thinly sliced steak. It can be eaten alongside rice or pasta, or just topped with a gravy or sauce.

Ingredients:
1 Ib very thinly sliced steak, preferably without too much fat
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon minced garlic
salt and pepper
½ cup flour
½ cup bread crumbs
1 tablespoon celery salt
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
oil for frying

What to do…

1. Marinate the thinly sliced steak in the garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper for at least an hour.
  2. In a bowl, mix together the flour, bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, and celery salt.
  3. In another bowl, mix together the eggs, salt, and pepper very well.
  4. Heat oil for frying and keep on medium heat throughout the frying process.
  5. Dip steak in the egg mixture, then the flour mixture. Place in the frying pan for about 3-5 minutes on each side, or until a medium brown color.

Here in Lake City Florida, Country Fried Steak is also called Chicken Fried Steak. The major difference is the country fried has white cream gravy and the Chicken Fried has a more tan gravy

I have made it by using a thin cut beef steak and pounding it the back of a knife or meat tenderizer to thin it and break some of the muscels and then dredging it in egg and then rolling in flour twice and then fring in hot lard or Crisco about 3/4 inch deep in a castiron skillet unto golden brown and the meat is at 145* on a quick read thermomenter. I serve with mashed potaots and make a milk gravy with the left over seasoned flour and part, not all, of the pan grease and just cook the flourt to remove the raw taste and then add enough milk to make a garvy the desire thickness ( your choice)

Chicken Fried Steak is battered and pan friend to be more like fried chicken

Thanks to some American restaurant owners here if Thailand we can get chicken fried steak. I often have to laugh when I order it and the waitress asks, “Do you want beef or chicken?”

When I got my undergrad degree it was in Sociology and thought I would never use it. Over the years it has helped me so much in different situations, especially traveling, just like the Chicken Fried Steak.:smiley:

Wow, thanks for the recipe also.:wink: