Crockpot Golden Mushroom Roast

Crockpot Golden Mushroom Roast

1 cup mushrooms pieces
1 cup Campbell’s golden cream of mushroom soup
1 pkg. Lipton onion soup mix
4 to 5 lb beef roast

Place mushroom pieces, soup and soup mix in slow cooker and stir to mix well. Add beef roast. Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours.

HI Kitchen Witch!

I just can’t believe all of the recipes that you have posted! Have you actually made all of them?
This recipe sounds great…what kind of roast beef do you use?

Too many years of cooking, catering and running family restaurants!! And I have the dishpan hands to prove it! I prefer top round, but I have used bottom round. But you can use any type of beef you want - the crockpot tenderizes everything!!

KW

Wow! Thanks for the quick response.
Another ?..what size crock pot do you use? I’ve had my crock pot since I first got married in the early 70’s! I guess it’s time for a new one - maybe with removable crock for easy cleaning - that’s the one thing that I’ve always hated about crock pot cooking - the cleaning of the pot!

I have 1 1-qt. crockette, 1 1/2 qt- football crockpot (for tail-gating and superbowl parties), 2 from the 70’s with the liners that do not come out that are 3 1/2 qt. and 1 6-qt. with a removable liner.

As much as I love my 6-qt. with the removable liner - I hate cleaning that one the most! The exterior has a very pretty design with veggies, etc. but cleaning it is a $%#&*!!! Excuse my French. You need to clean the interior (of course) as well as the exterior of the crock itself and also the inside and outside of the pot itself! And it stains so very easy!! The juices from the cooking process “seep” between the liner and the pot and also seep around the outside of the pot that holds it and it is not a pretty site! And it is not too easy to clean! There are times I just wish the controls would break so I could throw it out and use the liner in the oven. But I find that this crockpot cooks faster than the others do.

The ones with the liners that do not come out - as soon as I remove the food from the pot, I fill it with the hose from the sink with very hot water and I squirt in dish soap and let it soak. After we have completed our meal, I do the dishes and clean up - THEN I tackle the pot. It’s not so bad to clean then.

So it’s a toss up - clean just the liner of the pot or clean the inside and outside of the liner and the pot that holds it! So now I can honestly say - I like to clean the pot with the liner that doesn’t come out better than the pot with the liner that does come out.

The crockette and both 3 1/2-qt. ones are Rival, the football one is a novelty so I don’t know who made that - and the 6-qt. is a Hamilton Beach. The exterior of that seems so tinny as well. Not nice for cleaning.

I know that they make plastic liners for crockpots - but I have yet to try them. That would be a big help in cleaning the liners - but I don’t know if they make them for 6-qt. crockpots and would it help with the “seepage” or would it seep all over the counter!

Someday I may try them - but I am not really in a hurry to do so - something about cooking for hours in plastic - makes me wonder what the plastic is treated with so that it doesn’t burn! I wonder if it is the same thing they use on the sandwich wraps from fast food places! That stuff causes cancer.

I am even leary of the roasting bags they have - just don’t like cooking in plastic I guess…but that is my opinion. I’ll hush up - don’t get me started with plastic and margarine being a step away from plastic ------- then I get back on my soap box!!! LOL

I would rather wash a pot anyday!

Kitchen Witch

I had to go look at mine. It’s a Rival - 3 1/2 quart - harvest gold - funny! Popular at the time. Is that the right size for all of your crock pot recipes? I sure see your point about cleanup. I always fill it with the hose and leave it to soak too - usually sits with soapy water in it until dinner cleanup the next night though!

Thanks for all of your info and I’ll be trying alot of your recipes.

the Mary part of ronandmary72

LOL - Harvest gold!! Just like mine!!! The other Rival 3 1/2 qt. is orange - went well in that era!!!

And I thought I was the only one with old crockpots!!!

I love to use the 6-qt for turkey, large roasts, ribs, big pieces of meats, etc.
The 3 1/2 qt. is nice for soups, stews, smaller cuts of meat, etc. If I need a lot of stew - then it’s the big pot. But I do think the bigger one cooks faster.

KW

Hi KW,

Roast and dinner is almost done…how do I thicken the gravy?

Smells wonderful…

Well, dinner is done. No effort at all and it was delicious! I used fresh mushrooms. Thickened the gravy with flour and water. The gravy was soooo tasty! I servied rice and peas along side because they always go good with meat and gravy! We enjoyed this very much.

Thanks Kitchen Witch!

Ooops - I just got back on and you answered for me - LOL!!!
You sound like me - preferring fresh over canned mushrooms! You should try this with baby bella (baby portabella mushrooms)!!! I love it that way.

And by any chance - did you cook your rice with 1/2 to 1 t. beef bouillon? Since beef bouillon is stronger than chicken - I use half of what I should use for cooking rice. For chicken flavor I use 1 t. per cup of water…beef 1/2 t. per cup of water. It really flavors the rice! Also - I will add frozen peas and corn to the rice as well!

Let me know if you try it that way!

KW

Thanks for the hints, KW!

I like the idea of throwing the frozen corn or peas in with the rice as it cooks - such a simple idea I wonder why I never thought to it before!
So I’m on looking for a crock pot recipe to prepare sometime this week and I’m also looking for a cream cheese glaze for the carrot cake that I have in the oven right now. Any favorites?

Thanks again!

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1/3 cup butter (room temperature)
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon Black Walnut Extract or
another flavoring (butter pecan, butter nut)
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Nut Extract

Beat butter, cream cheese and extracts until smooth. Add powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time and beat until frosting reaches a spreading consistency. Frost between layers and on top of cake.

OR

Cream Cheese Frosting

Blend 8 ounces cream cheese (softened) with 1 tablespoon milk and teaspoon vanilla extract. Gradually add 1 pound sifted confectioners sugar. Beat until smooth. Add more milk if frosting is too thick.

OR

1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
1 stick butter
1/3 c. nuts of your choice (i use walnuts)
1 box of powdered sugar (4 cups)
1 tsp vanilla flavoring

Mix cream cheese and butter together in a bowl. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix until you get the consistency you like.

Add a little milk to the frosting while mixing if you like it to be creamy. When icing is done, add 1/3 chopped walnuts to the icing. Crush them right out of the package with the end of a blunt object to make smaller pieces.

Stir walnuts into frosting well.

these are good on carrot or banana cakes!