Crustless Spinach Quiche
(makes 6 servings)
1 10 ounce (300 g) package frozen chopped spinach
4 ounces ( 120 ml) skim milk Swiss cheese
2 slices day old bread, crusts removed and broken into small pieces
12 ounces (360 ml) egg substitute
3 scallions, whites and 1 inch green, sliced
1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) nutmeg
freshly ground pepper to taste
butter flavored cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350Â°F (180Â°C), Gas Mark 4.
- Thaw the spinach in the microwave and then drain in a colander, squeezing out all liquid.
- Mix spinach with cheese, bread pieces, egg substitute, scallion, nutmeg, and pepper.
- Pour into a nonstick 8 or 9 inch (20 to 22.5 cm) pie pan which has been sprayed with cooking spray. Even out with a spatula.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until completely set. Serve hot.
Per serving: 121 calories (28% calories from fat), 13 g protein, 4 g total fat (2.2 g saturated fat), 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 10 mg cholesterol, 282 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 2 lean protein, 1/2 carbohydrate (bread/starch)