This date bar recipe has come down through the family over the years and used to be called Polk-a-Daters. They are also known as Date Fruit Bars, Date Nut Bars, Chocolate-Date Bars. However the important thing to remember is that this recipe for date bars is excellent. They are moist and not a real heavy chocolate dessert bar.
8 oz. Chopped Dates
1 ¾ cup Flour
1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
6 oz Chocolate Chips
1 cup Butter or Margarine
1 ¼ cup Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
½ cup Chopped Nuts (optional)
- Mix dates with 1 cup hot water. Let cool. Dates need to rehydrate in hot water.
- Beat butter, sugar, eggs,till creamy.
- Sift and gradually add; flour & baking powder.
- Stir in date mixture, vanilla and half of the chocolate chips.
- Spread in greased cookie sheet. Top with other half of chocolate chips and nuts.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
This recipe makes a date bar that is about 1 to 1 ½ inches thick. These chocolate date bars are also good served with ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce.