Delicious Steak And Onion Sandwiches
This goes great with potato salad or a side salad. For game season serve with baked potato skins - these are a man’s favorite!
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless top sirloin
- 2 tsps. dried thyme (divided)
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 2 cups onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup shallots, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard with horseradish*
- salt and pepper
- 4 club rolls, split and toasted
- *NOTE: Or mix 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard and 2 tsp. horseradish with the mayonnaise.
Trim any fat from steak. Rub 1 tsp. thyme into steak. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add sirloin, cook about 4-5 minutes per side for medium-rare; 5-6 min. for medium. Transfer steak to a platter, cover and place in a warm oven. Using 1 Tbsp. pan drippings, cook the onion and shallots over medium-high heat until soft. Add beef broth and remaining thyme. Cook until mixture boils, about 2 min. Meanwhile, mix mayonnaise and mustard with horseradish together in a small bowl. Cut steaks into 1/8 inch slices. Spread mustard mixture on the toasted rolls. Assemble sandwiches by dividing the sliced steak on the bottom of the rolls. Top with onion-shallot mixture, sprinkle with salt and pepper, cover with roll tops. Cut on the diagonal, serve warm.