DEPRESSION ERA CARAMEL PUDDING

DEPRESSION ERA CARAMEL PUDDING

Burnt sugar cakes and puddings became popular throught the Great Depression because they offered a variety while using the same basic ingredients.

Melt 1/2 c. sugar slowly over slow heat until it turns a caramel color.

Add 1 c. water.

It will sputter and some will harden, but will melt again.

Add 1 c. milk and heat to slow boil.

Add 2 T. cornstarch dissolved in water and cook until thickened. Serve warm or cold, with or with out cream.

Hi, this recipe is from my Mother-in-Law, and to give you a hint how long she has it, she is 96 years old and still going strong. So here it is and I hope you like it.

2 c. brown sugar
 3 small cups water
 3 t. cornstarch, (rounded)
 1 c. walnuts, chopped
 1 t. vanilla

Put sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Dissolve cornstarch in a little cold water, add to syrup and boil about 5 minutes.  Stir occasionally.  take from fire and add nuts and vanilla.  Pour into small bowls cool.  Serve with whipped cream.

Hope this is good for you.

God Bless your mother-in-law!

I bet she could tell so many stories that would be of interest! How nice it would be if more people would take the time out to learn from our seniors! A very dear friend of mine was in her 90’s when she passed - and she was as sharp as ever! Her stories of the “good ol’ days” were fascinating. She had a hard life - but I think that is what kept her going and kept her mind young all those years. And of course, she cooked and baked right to the end.

Thank you for the recipe - of course - I will make it.