Detox advice

I am thinking about a detox dietry plan for 9 days - i spoke to a person over lunch today who swares by detox - i will let you all know the name of teh program once he sends it to me - in the meantime any opinions on detox in general??
I am mixed as I have heard good and bad.

My mother-in-law USED to “detox” her body once a year. We’ve FINALLY got it through her thick skull to STOP! It’s only been 2 years since she’s quit doing it (she’s going to be 70).

Every single time she detoxed, she would get sick. She became so weak that she caught whatever virus was around and she’d be sick for weeks. I think the last time it scared her. She was so weak, she had a hard time to regain her strength. It took her a little over a month to get back to “normal”.

When I used to go see my naturopath, I mentioned to him about detoxing my body. He advised against it.

I’ve read about doing it for 3 days or for 10 days, once a year. There are many factors to consider before doing so. Please see your physician and talk to him about it before you decide to do it.

I have a book about “Natural Healing”. I’ll read what it says about detoxing and post it here.

The irony is that she would do this, eat healthier and be sick more often throughout the year (colds and flu) than my family!

Aline

Balogna

thanks for all the sound advice - it sounds pretty scary.
once i have the detox info i will post all the information and we can discuss further.
My main reason for the detox is to detox - i have never thought about detox before so its all very new to me.

Here’s the info from the 2 books I have. Info is in several posts because of the length.

(*From “The Complete Family Guide To Alternative Medicine”, by C. Norman Shealy, M.D. Ph.D.)

FASTING cleanses the system of poisons accumulated from bad eating habits, a poor environment, and suppressed or repressed emotions. It enhances immune functioning and speeds up healing. It gives the digestive system a well-earned and often much-needed rest.

Fasting means not eating solid food for a specified period of time. It does not mean starving completely or going thirsty. Liquids must always be taken regularly during any fast – regular liquid intake is vital. It is essential, during every fast, to maintain your fluid intake. Continue to drink as much as possible, preferably mineral water, throughout.

Short fasts, lasting no longer than 48 hours, can be safely carried out by most HEALTHY adults without supervision. However, strict supervision is necessary for fasts lasting longer than three days and for those undertaken by the chronically ill.

Fasting should not be used to lose weight. Fasts should not be undertaken except under medical advice by pregnant women, young children, and people who are seriously ill.

Most alternative therapists believe that everybody can benefit from dietary self-help for both prevention and treatment of disease. Many therapies recommend fasting, perhaps drinking only fruit and vegetable juices, or eating salads or single fruits. Fasting is probably the oldest therapy known to humankind. The aim of fasting and dietary therapy is to rid the body of the toxins that are said to accumulate from the wrong diet, so that it can function at its optimum level.

Self-administered fasts should not exceed two days, and returning to eating should be gradual. Start with raw fruit and salads, followed by wholegrain foods, fish, poultry, or lean meat, and then yogurt and dairy produce. Fatty, sugary and refined carbohydrate foods, coffee, cola, tea, and other stimulants, alcohol, and tobacco should be avoided completely.

Some of the side effects of fasting – such as headache, bad breath, diarrhea, and vomiting – are unpleasant and if they are intolerable, the alternative is to introduce a very little fruit and/or fresh vegetable juice, into the diet.

(*From “Prescription for Nutritional Healing”, 3rd Edition, by Phyllis A. Balch, CNC and James F. Balch, M.D. – A Practical A-To-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food Supplements) … This is a great book!

Acute illnesses, colon disorders, allergies, and respiratory diseases are most responsive to fasting, while chronic degenerative diseases are the least responsive. By relieving the body of the work of digesting foods, fasting permits the system to rid itself of toxins while facilitating healing.

During a fast, the following happens:

-The natural process of toxin excretion continues, while the influx of new toxins is reduced. This results in a reduction of total body toxicity.
-The energy usually used for digestion is redirected to immune function, cell growth, and eliminatory processes.
-The immune system’s workload is greatly reduced, and the digestive tract is spared any inflammation due to allergic reactions to food.
-Due to a lowering of serum fats that thins the blood, tissue oxygenation is increased and white blood cells are move more efficiently.
-Fat-stored chemicals, such a pesticides and drugs, are released.
-Physical awareness and sensitivity to diet and surroundings are increased.

Depending on the length of the fast, it accomplishes different things. A 3-day fast helps the body rid itself of toxins and cleanses the blood. A 5-day fast begins the process of healing and rebuilding the immune system. A 10-day fast can take care of many problems before they arise and help to fight off illness, including the degenerative diseases that have become so common in our chemically polluted environment.

Certain precautions should be taken during fasts. First, DO NOT fast on water alone. An all-water fast releases toxins too quickly, causing headaches and worse. Instead, follow the live-juice diet detailed below, as this both removes toxins and promotes healing by supplying the body with vitamins, minerals, and enzymes. Such a fast is also more likely to lead to a continued healthy diet once the fast is over, as it will accustom you to the taste of raw vegetables and the vitality that this diet promotes.

Second, whenever you fast for more than 3 days, do so only under the supervision of a qualified health care professional. If you have diabetes, hypoglycemia, or another chronic health problem, even short fasts should be supervised by a doctor. Pregnant and lactating women should NEVER fast.

A final word of advice: It took years to wear your body down, and it will take time to build it back up to its peak condition.

PROCEDURE

To prepare for the fast, eat only raw vegetables and fruits for 2 days. This will make the fast less of a shock to the system.

While on the fast, consume at least eight 8-ounce glasses of steam-distilled water a day, plus pure juices and up to 2 cups of herbal tea a day. Dilute all juices with the water, adding about 1 part water to 3 parts juice. Do not drink orange or tomato juice, and avoid all juices made with sweeteners or other additives.

The best juice to use during your fast is fresh lemon juice. Add the juice of one lemon to a cup of warm water. Fresh apple, beet, cabbage, carrot, celery, and grape juices are also good, as are “green drinks”, which are made from green leafy vegetables. These green drinks are excellent detoxifiers. Raw cabbage juice is particularly good for ulcers, cancer, and all colon problems. Just be sure to drink the cabbage juice as soon as it is prepared. As this juice sits, it loses its vitamin content.

As a general rule, you should not combine fruit and vegetable juices. Apples are the only fruit that should be added to vegetable juices.

Follow the juice-water-and-tea fast with a two-day diet of raw fruits and vegetables. The desired effects of the fast can by ruined by eating cooked foods immediately afterward. Because both the size of the stomach and the amount of secreted digestive juices may decrease during fast4ing, the first meals after a fast should be frequent and small.

HERBS

Herbal teas may be consumed throughout the fast, once or twice per day or more if you wish. Try the following teas:

-Use alfalfa, burdock, chamomile, dandelion, milk thistle, red clover, and rose hips tea to rejuvenate the liver and cleanse the bloodstream. CAUTION: Do not use chamomile on an ongoing basis, as ragweed allergy may result. Avoid it completely if you are allergic to ragweed.

-Drink 2 parts Echinacea and pau d’arco tea mixed with 1 part unsweetened cranberry juice. Used four times a day, this will rebuild the immune system, aid in bladder function, and rid the colon of unwanted bacteria. NOTE: Do not use Echinacea herb if you have any kind of autoimmune disorder. (personal note – Echinacea causes inflammation for people with arthritis).

-Use peppermint tea for its calming and strengthening effect on the nerves, and for indigestion, nausea, and flatulence.

-Use slippery elm tea for inflammation of the colon. This tea also is benefical when used as an enema solution.

Take 2 capsules of garlic twice a day. If you prefer a liquid supplement, add 1 tablespoon of liquid aged garlic extract (Kyolic) to a cup of water. Garlic supplements may be taken on a daily basis before, during, and after a fast to promote overall health, aid in the healing process, and rid the colong of many types of parasites. (personal note – my daughter eats a few cloves of pickled garlic when she has a cold – the kids at school stay far away from her! LOL).

RECOMMENDATIONS

If you must have something to eat during the fast, eat a piece of watermelon. Always eat watermelon by itself, with no additional foods. You can also try applesauce – fresh, not canned – made in a blender or food processor. Leave the skin on the apples, and do not cook them.

Take a fiber supplement on a daily basis before and after your fast, but not during the fast. To promote cleansing of the colon before and after your fast, be sure to make extra fiber a part of your daily diet. Bran, especially oat bran, is an excellent source of fiber. Try to avoid supplements containing wheat bran, as they may be irritating to the colon wall. Another good fiber source is Aerobic Bulk Cleanse (ABC) from Aerobic Life Industries. To use this colon cleanser, mix it with half aloe vera juice and half natural cranberry juice. This mixture adds fiber and has a healing and cleansing effect also. Psyllium seed husks and ground flaxseed are other good-quality fiber products. Be certain to accompany any fiber capsule with a large glass of water, because the capsules expand and soak up a good deal of water.

Do not chew gum while on the fast. The digestive process starts when chewing prompts the body to secrete enzymes into the gastrointestinal tract. If there is no food in the stomach for the enzymes to digest, trouble occurs.

If desired, take spirulina during the fast. Spirulina is high in protein and contains a wide range of vitamins and minerals, plus chlorophyll for cleansing. If you are using tablets, take 5 tablets three times daily. If you are using powder, take 1 teaspoon three times daily, mixing the powder with a cup of unsweetened juice.

If you have hypoglycemia, never fast without also using a protein supplement. Spirulina, described above, is a good choice. Make sure the spirulina is of good quality, has been laboratory tested, and has been cleaned before processing. Kyo-Green from Wakunaga is also valuable. Before starting any fast, consult a qualified health care professional.

If you are over 65, or if you need daily supplements for another reason, continue taking your vitamin and mineral supplements during the fast. Older people need certain vitamins and minerals daily. When you are drinking fresh juices, reduce the dosage of supplements that you take.

During a fast, as toxins are released from your body, you may experience fatigue; body odor; dry, scaly skin; skin eruptions; headaches; dizziness; irritability; anxiety; confusion; nausea; coughing; diarrhea; dark urine; dark, foul-smelling stools; body aches; insomnia; sinus and bronchial mucus discharge; and/or visual or hearing problems. These symptoms are not serious and will quickly pass. To alleviate any of these symptoms, use a daily lemon juice enema to cleanse the colon, and a daily coffee enema to rid the liver of impurities. (personal note – my mother-in-law always experiences a lot of these effects during her fasts.)

During your fast, be sure to get adequate rest. If necessary, try napping during the day to recharge your batteries.

To make an excellent juice for healing many illnesses, juice together 3 carrots, 3 kale leaves, 2 stalks celery, 2 beets, 1 turnip, ¼ pound spinach, ½ head of cabbage, ¼ bunch of parsley, ¼ of an onion, and ½ clove of garlic. If you don’t have a juicer, place the vegetables in pure water and gently boil them, adding no seasonings. A cup of this juice may be substituted for any other juice while fasting. Save the vegetables from the broth to eat after your fast. Remember that no solid food is allowed during the fast.

During a fast, as toxins are released from your body, you will probably experience a coated tongue and an unpleasant taste in your mouth. To relieve this problem, try rinsing your mouth with fresh lemon juice.

If desired, before, during, and after your fast, use Daily Detox Tea from Houston International to help the bloodstream and organs eliminate toxins. If used during the fast, this product should replace a cup of herbal tea.

If you are a denture wearer, keep your denture in your mouth throughout the fast to prevent shrinkage of the gums.

While fasting, continue your normal daily routine, including moderate exercise. Avoid any strenuous exercise.

Be aware that when you fast during a low phase, you help your body experience the “up” phase of the cycle – a period during which you feel great. This occurs because the body has been cleansed of impurities. However, when you start to pollute your body again, the toxins once again begin to build up, and, in time, you will again have a low phase. When this occurs, the fast should be repeated. It is recommended that you fast at least three days a month, and follow a ten-day fast at least twice a year.

Before, during, and after your fast, use dry-brush massages to help rid the skin of toxins and dead cells. Perform the massage with a NATURAL bristle brush that has a long handle, so that you can reach your back. Always brush toward the heart – from wrist to elbow, elbow to shoulder, ankles to knees, knees to hips, and so on. This massage with flake away large amounts of dead skin, freeing the pored of impediments, and, in turn, helping the skin to excrete poisons. It will also greatly improve circulation. DO NOT use this technique on areas of the body affected by acne, eczema, or psoriasis. Also avoid brushing areas that are broken or recently scarred, or that have protruding varicose veins.

**As you can see from the information I’ve provided, there are many factors to consider before fasting – which is why it is HIGHLY recommended to consult a qualified health care professional before doing so. I hope this info helps you and if you need any other info, don’t hesitate to ask – this book is fantastic and I would be glad to share more.

the information and effort you have gone thru is truley apppreciated
Thanks You so much!!

I will let you all know if i decide to go thru with it - sounds like whatever the decison is REST is the key to success

lots of fruit and vegetables and plenty of water is my advice. essentially adopt a vegan diet for as long as you wish and take on plenty of fluids. as research seems fairly inconclusive i think its fair to say each to their own on this one, as long as you are still being healthy, play around and see what works best for you

hello dudes

my wife yesterday ran into a website. the store is listing wide variety of well priced label outfit. they are offering the goods with up to 65% savings. my wife really needs to order a pair before the weekend but not confident that order is gonna be left in right on time. I am considering to order those prada sneakers but not sure yet.

just urged to share with you fellas.

thnx fellas.

Lipitor is a member of the stimulant class known as statins, used quest of lowering blood cholesterol. It also stabilizes honour and prevents strokes through anti-inflammatory and other mechanisms.

buy lipitor
buy lipitor online
cheap lipitor

<a href=http://forum.cs.tuiasi.ro/index.php?showuser=19193&gt;miley cyrus naked</a> miley cyrus naked <a href=http://ako.net.nz/lms/user/view.php?id=3770&course=1&gt;miley cyrus lyrics</a> miley cyrus lyrics <a href=http://www.healthcentral.com/adhd/c/827838/profile&gt;miley cyrus naked</a> miley cyrus naked <a href=http://community.midwiferytoday.com/members/vbestr.aspx&gt;MILEY CYRUS NUDE</a> MILEY CYRUS NUDE <a href=http://spar.unicauca.edu.co/celulaunicauca/members/vbestrd.aspx&gt;miley cyrus nude</a> miley cyrus nude <a href=http://www.solio.com/forums/index.php?showuser=2120&gt;Kim Kardashian nude</a> Kim Kardashian nude <a href=http://www.robertmclaws.com/members/vebstd/default.aspx&gt;miley cyrus sex tape</a> miley cyrus sex tape <a href=http://forum.equisearch.com/members/vbestdr.aspx&gt;miley cyrus naked</a> miley cyrus naked