does anyone remember?

Does anyone here remember some of the old bar/pub sandwiches that were served back in the “good ol’ days”???

You know - those wonderful roast beef on weck with or without horseradish - and that steam table made the meat just fall apart! Served with a nickel (yes NICKEL) bag of chips and dill spears.

And of course the pub burgers as well as some of the sandwiches that were “quickies” for when the guys in the neighborhood wanted something fast to eat. I think every neighborhood had their corner bar where many of the plant laborers were able to cash their checks, grab a bit to eat and slosh a few down! Typical blue collar America!

We were reminiscing about that the other night - all the different things that the corner pubs would serve - from sandwiches to chilis - and the laborers from the plant would stop in -sometimes daily for something hot to eat or a quick sandwich. Of course - fish frys on Friday nights as well.

Just about every sandwich came with dill spears and you could get a bag of chips to go with it.

I made one of the pub sandwiches for lunch today - one large bulky roll, loaded with sliced salami (they would serve summer sausage, Hungarian salami, Italian salami or German salami), sliced Cheddar, slathered with dark mustard, piled with pickled peppers (drained and patted dry), bread and butter pickles (drained and patted dry), sliced onions and a good dollop of mayo. Dill spears and chips on the side.

And for dinner - pub chili - ground beef, tomatoes, onions, beans, tomato paste, seasonings, topped with shredded Cheddar. Served with crusty bread and a side salad. For dessert - I made 2 10-inch deep dish apple pies - Dutch apple and double crust. mmmmmmmm

KW, while I don’t frequent pubs or bars very often, there are some of the types of sandwiches which you mentioned. What I’m thinking primarily of is the smoked meat sandwiches, similar to what you described.

Being in Canada, Montreal has some excellent manufacturers of smoked meat. I hve been in a pub there at noon and it wasn’t as busy as later on.

What I had was this:

Rye Bread (2 slices)
Smoked meat, 4 slices steamed and warm, folded over twice
mustard as desired
dill pickle spear
chips (bag or fries)
salt and pepper to taste, (usually very little salt)

The smoked meat had cloves in it, had been smoked over a fire and possibly put in a brine at some point to get rid of a lot of the excess fat.

On occasion, we used Kaiser rolls as opposed to rye bread. One could have either beer or a non-alcoholic beverage.

With every neighborhood having a corner bar/pub - it was common to see even children run into the back door and hand over a note of what the order was.

The sandwiches were assembled, wrapped in foil with the pickles (sometimes pickled eggs) and placed in a brown paper bag with bags of chips on top.

If it was fish fry day - those were placed in those brownish gray rough fiber/paper plates with one on top to cover - then it was placed in foil and wrapped, then placed in newspaper and tied with string for carrying. And speaking of fish fry day - in those days the one corner bar would sell 2 very large breaded fish fillets (that hung way off the large fiber plate placed on top of a more than super-size order of fries, a large helping of both macaroni and potato salad, 2 large, thick slices of rye (from a bakery that sold rye bread in 5 lb. loaves to bars) that were buttered with real butter, and a huge helping of coleslaw and 2 lemon wedges. Somehow they managed to included lettuce leaves and sliced tomato and dill spears. One fish fry was more than enough for 2 people to really stuff themselves with.

In those days things were different. We are not drinkers - so if we wanted something to eat we just walked in the back door and placed our order and took it home. If it was the roast beef sandwiches, you always peered around the corner to watch it being sliced from the steamtable which was always at the end of the bar. You knew everyone in the bar - they all lived on your street, right around the corner, or you went the school or played with one of their kids or grandchildren - and you were safe. If it was starting to get dark - one of the bar patrons would watch you to make sure you crossed the street safely, or made it home and your parents would always thank them. If you couldn’t carry all the fish frys - then someone from the bar would walk you home and help you - that is the way it was then.

Boy are those days long gone!

Oh and by the way - since the bar owner knew you and your family and lived right there in the neighborhood - it wasn’t uncommon for you to also go home with extra chips or some candy or candy bars - or some pennies or nickels for candy (penny candy - gone forever!). There were always some sort of goodies for the kids!

And if you were a bar patron and you had a little one who was sick or having a birthday or a special event of any sort - your dad brought you some goodies from the patrons/neighbors as well that were there. Everyone knew everyone and all their business as well!