Eggnog Cookies with Rum Butter Icing

Eggnog Cookies with Rum Butter Icing

This is more of a “cake-like” cookie. Daughter and hubby really liked them, but I expected something different. I liked the flavour but not the texture. I topped each cookie with an icing made from icing sugar, nutmeg, dark rum, melted butter, and a little eggnog. The original dough recipe did not call for rum and only 1/2 tsp spices; however, I found that it needed more spices (3/4 tsp) and some dark rum for flavour. It worked for me. The batter is like a cake batter (that’s when I knew it would be a cake-like cookie :roll: but… think of it as “little cakes”!! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg
1 tsp dark rum
2/3 cup prepared eggnog
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp ground ginger

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a large mixing bowl, cream brown sugar and first addition of butter until smooth and light. Beat in egg until well blended. Stir in eggnog.

Mix together flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and ginger in a medium bowl. Blend into creamed mixture until smooth. Scoop level measures of dough onto ungreased cookie sheets, spaced 2½ inches apart.

Bake until cookies are golden and firm to the touch, about 10-12 minutes. Using a spatula, transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool. When cookies are completely cool, decorate with icing.

On my computer when I look at the amounts of butter, baking soda and salt what I see is: A1/2 can anyone tell me what it is suppose to read?

My computer has that too…and I don’t know why! Its in front of some of the other measurements too…

These cookies sound wonderful. I have some eggnog cookie dough chilling in the fridge right now. But I may have to try this recipe.

The A before ingredients should just be ignored. It’s like say A 1/2 cup of sugar…etc.
It is from cut and pasting. sometimes it will be a symbol instead of A. Just go with the amount.

Crazy Mountain Lady…Care to share your eggnog cookie recipe?:stuck_out_tongue:

Would love to share my recipe.

EGGNOG COOKIES

1 CUP (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 CUPS granulated sugar
1 CUP Eggnog
1/2 teaspoon Rum extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
5 1/2 cups unsifted flour
Eggnog Icing (recipe follows)

With mixer, beat butter and sugar in large bowl until fluffy. Add Eggnog, rum extract,baking soda and nutmeg; mix well. Gradually add flour; mix well.

Chill dough overnight in refrigerator.
Preheat oven to 375*. Roll out dough a bit at a time to about 1/8 inch thickness. I use powdered sugar instead of flour for rolling my dough out on. Cut with cookie cutters dipped in the powdered sugar. Reroll as necessary to use all the dough. Place 1 inch apart on greased cookie sheets.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Ice and Decorate if desired. Store covered at room temperature. Makes about 8 dozen depending on the size of cookie cutters use.

Eggnog Icing

With mixer, beat 3 cups sifted powdered sugar and 1/4 cup softened butter in medium bowl until well mixed. Gradually beat in 1/3 cup Eggnog and 1/2 teaspoon Rum extract until icing is smooth. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

NOTE: Rum extract can be omitted if desired or replaced with the real thing:p

I made mine today and the hubby calls them my “disappearing cookies” because every time he walks through the kitchen more cookies disappear.:wink: