4 cups carrots, sliced
2 cups onion, cubed
1 16 oz. can Jalapenos, sliced
4 oz. vinegar
2 cups water
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. Oregano leaf
2 cloves garlic, chopped

1. Measure and place carrots in container.

2. Measure cubed onions and place in container with carrots.

3. Add the Jalapenos, including juice, to the carrots and onions.

4. Add the vinegar, water, salt, oregano and garlic to the other ingredients
    and mix well.

5. Cover container and place in refrigerator for a minimum of 24 hours.

6. Before serving, stir all ingredients thoroughly.
    *Remember, relish must be allowed to marinate for a MINIMUM of 24 hours.

B-man :wink:

Hi B-Man
Thanks for this recipe…I’ve been searching all over for it. I am wanting to can this stuff…do you think it is possible to jar it and hot water bath it for 15 minutues and have it turn out good enough to eat?

I’ve got Jalapeno’s, Bananna peppers and Onions from our garden this year and was wanting to use them in this recipe, but wanted to can it and save it for later in the year to eat.

Anxiously awaiting your reply…
Pegaroo from Oklahoma

IMO there is not enough vinegar in proportion to the amount of low-acid foods to make it safe for a Boiling Water Bath processing.

How do you get the carrots from being hard? Taste great but the carrots are hard (fresh just bought yesterday.

Lbrooks44
Semper fi 1966-1968

Perhaps like most of you, I miss these carrots from my youth. I’ve lived in Illinois for 36 years, and Tex-Mex just doesn’t exist up here. So, I decided that if I was ever going to get these carrots again, I would have to make them myself. I used this recipe as a starting point and then, ahem, completely modified it. My goal was shelf-stable canning, not refrigerator pickling. Here it is:

At least 1 lbs carrots, and up to 1.5 lbs.
1/2 of an onion
A 12 to 16 oz jar of sliced jalapenos
3 cups of white vinegar
3 cups of water
3 tsp of salt
2 tsp of sugar
1 tbls of dried oregano
8 cloves of garlic, halved.

Put the vinegar, jalapeno liquid, water, salt, sugar, and oregano in a large saucepan. Simmer 10 minutes.
Slice the carrots and onions.
Do the usual canning thing: sterilize the jars and lids, etc. If you don’t know how to do this, please research it.

Evenly divide the carrots, onion, and jalapenos into eight half-pint jars. Add the pickling solution. Seal the jars and simmer in 185 degree (minimum) water bath for 15 minutes.

Cool, label, and wait for at least two weeks.