Emeril’s Chicken Andouille and Shrimp Jambalaya
• One 3-1/2-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
• 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons Emeril’s Original Essence
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 cup vegetable oil
• 1 cup chopped celery
• 1 cup chopped green bell peppers
• 1 cup chopped onions
• 1 tablespoon minced garlic
• 1 pound andouille sausage, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
• 1/2 pound boneless smoked ham, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
• 2 cups rice
• 2 cups chicken stock, or canned low-sodium chicken broth
• 1 cup canned whole tomatoes, drained and crushed
• 1 tablespoon tomato paste
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1/2 teaspoon Emeril’s Kick It Up! Red Pepper Sauce, or other hot sauce, plus more for serving
• 4 bay leaves
• 4 sprigs fresh thyme
• 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
• 2 tablespoons finely sliced green onions, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Season the chicken with 2 tablespoons Essence and salt. Heat the oil in a small Dutch oven or heavy lidded pot over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides, working in batches if necessary, 8 minutes to 10 minutes per batch. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
Add the celery, bell peppers and onions, and cook until they begin to soften, about two minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another two minutes. Add the sausage and ham, and cook for another two minutes. Add the rice, stir to blend, and cook for another two minutes. Add the Chicken Stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire, 1 teaspoon of the remaining Essence, the pepper sauce, bay leaves, and thyme. Stir to combine and return the chicken to the pot, nestling the pieces in the rice mixture.
Cover the pot and bake until the chicken and rice are tender, about 40 minutes.
Toss the shrimp with the remaining teaspoon of Essence. Remove the jambalaya from the oven and add the shrimp to the top of the pot. Cover the pot and let stand, undisturbed, for five minutes. Stir the jambalaya gently but thoroughly to incorporate the shrimp. Garnish with the green onions and serve with hot sauce.