Favorite Comfort Foods

I’m new to this site and not sure how to participate, but here’s a recipe I use often. My son and grandsons absolutely love this, and I initially came up with it because I didn’t want to go to the store and had all these ingredients on hand. :rolleyes: The cook time is due to my choice of brown rice. If you used quicker-cooking rice, obviously it would take a lot less time. I estimated the seasonings (chili & garlic powders & Worcestershire sauce) because I usually add by palmfuls, pinch, etc. That’s the way I learned from Mom. :smiley: Anyway, here it is.

Gammie’s Hash :wink:
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Ready In: 50 Minutes
Yields: 8 servings

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups of brown rice
2 pounds ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 (28 ounce) can diced or crushed tomatoes
1 can kidney beans, drained & rinsed
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Salt to taste

DIRECTIONS:

1. Bring 4 cups of water and brown rice to a boil. Stir, reduce to a simmer, and cover with tight-fitting lid. Simmer for 45 minutes. (Do not remove the lid during cooking time.) Fluff rice with a fork before serving.

2. In a skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef with the onion, until the meat is no longer pink, and the onion is soft; drain well.

3. In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, combine the ground beef mixture and the rest of the ingredients, adjusting seasonings to suit your own taste. Bring to a boil, and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes to blend flavors. Serve over brown rice.

Brown rice isn’t something I use often but for some recipes it is just perfect. this looks like one of those recipes. What a strange combination of ingredients. In this case, “Strange” isn’t a bad thing at all. In fact, I like strange combinations of ingredients. I guess the unusual part comes from combining rice, (especially brown rice) and the chili ingredients. I’ve made a lot of different rice casseroles but none like this one. I definitely will try this one and get back to you. Thanks.

Bruce