French fries in a fryer

I rarely cook anything unless it can be nuked or thrown in an oven pan and left to until the timer beeps. But now that i have access to the cheese i grew up on instead of the garbage the local stores try to pass off as cheese, i decided to buy a deep fryer and make some home made poutine. Ive read a bunch of methods but the one thing they all have in common is they’re all too general and don’t speak to amounts. I only plan on cooking enough fries for myself(i figured 2-3 large potatoes maybe) and from what i read, a double fry(or double dip) method sounds tasty.
So other than the prep stuff which is consistant(soaking the tatoes for 7-8 hrs in cold water), how long do i have to cook the fries on both fryings?. Even the instructions that came with the fryer don’t quite cover it as the double dip instructions are for like a family of 4.

Also i wanted to add some left over ham to my poutine and wanted to ask which is tastier? just adding the ham in layers to the fries before pouring the sauce? or throw the ham into the sauce as it cooks?

btw…i ask all this as i normally hate cooking, it’s something i just have no aptitude for and i manage to “burn” soup believe it or not lol. I need to find a wife that cooks i think. cheers

ps it’s ok to respond to my e-mail directly if the instructions are long to save space on the forum, as long as you clearly identify the e-mail as repsonding to this. i summarily delete anything i don’t recognize.

It’s ok. My ex-wife was taught that way as well, to cook or bake something until it reached a certain colour or size or height etc., but since i’m colourblind, she could never teach me how to cook as i can’t tell blond from golden brown to w/e hehe. That’s a big reason i hate cooking and why i always ask for specific times. The 1st method you mentioned sounds like the simplest and easiest, as i did buy, along with my new fryer, a good old fashioned, manual fry cutter that has a 1/4 x1/4 cut blade so that’s poifect. What about the sauce and ham? or does that really matter one way or the other. I’m drooling as i type this as i haven’t had homemade poutine in eons.

Hi Recipe Buddy, I just joined the forum and realize this post is a little dated, but here is a tip on getting crispy french fries in a deep fryer.

Crispy Homemade French Fries

Peel four russet potatoes and cut them the way you like. We like steak fries, so I cut them about 1/2 inch wide and about 1/4 inch thick. Soak the sliced potatoes in cold water for at least 30 minutes to remove the starch. After they have soaked, take them out of the water and pat dry. Heat your oil in your deep fryer to 325 degrees and cook your potatoes for 5 minutes. Remove the potatoes and drain on a wire rack. Increase your oil temperature to 350 degrees. Fry the potatoes again for about 2 more minutes or until they are as brown as you like.

I will usually go ahead and fry the main dish when I make these, like chicken or fish after the first frying. That way, when I do the second frying of the potatoes, they will be piping hot and ready to serve. Always salt them immediately when you take them out of the oil. I like to use Lawrys Garlic Salt and paprika on mine.

Thanks Kitchen Witch. There is no such thing as too many recipes!

Thank you for sharing this recipe.I love to prepare french fries.I use to bring the frozen one which are there in stores.But there is a lot of work mainly after cooking.So I will try the above.

I’m not a big fan of double cooking french fries, though that seems to be a popular technique these days. I think it makes them taste leathery and rancid, personally. We were never allowed to reheat cold fries in hot oil at any of the restaurants I’ve ever worked at, we always had to drop a fresh batch if someone sent them back.

Soaking them for a bit and rinsing them real good will help draw out some of the excess starch. Otherwise the potatoes will tend to get really dark and burnt looking before they are actually cooked through all the way.

The timing is pretty volatile since there are so many factors at play, but generally speaking, I’ve found that fresh fries take much longer to cook than the frozen pre cut fries .