French Onion Soup

This recipe is simple and it takes time (but it’s well worth it). The trick here is to let the onions carmelize slowly, without the help of added sugar.

Ingredients:
2 to 3 lbs Medium to Large Yellow Onions - Halved and sliced to 1/4"
3Tbsp Olive Oil
2Tbsp Butter
Fresh Ground Balack Pepper
1- 8oz Can prepared Beef Consume’
2 - 8oz Cans prepared Beef Broth (I’ve tried many broth variations, even home made, but prefer good ole Campbells).
1 Cup Water
2 TBsp Worstershire Sauce
1oz Premium Brandy
Resteraunt Style Seasoned Croutons (Large Cut-3/4")
Mix the following cheeses and set aside:
4oz Shredded Mozzerella
4oz Shredded Monterey Jack
4oz Shredded Swiss or Greuyere

Heat oil and butter in a dutch oven, 8 - 10 Qt. On HIGH heat, add onions and fresh ground pepper to taste, cook until onions are slightly softened.
Lower heat to Med/Low, cover and cook slowly, stir frequently, do not let the onions burn. It will take at least six hours, but the onions will carmelize in their own sugars (Do NOT cheat and add sugar!). When they are reduced to a deep, dark brown carmelized texture, add the Consumme’, broth, worsteshire sauce and brandy.
Let simmer to combine flavors for 20 minutes.

Fill 4 french onion soup bowls with the soup, drop about enough croutons on each to cover the tops and sprinlke the cheeses. Place under a broiler until cheese is brown to your liking and serve.

You will be pleased how the brandy adds to the flavor.
Enjoy

That’s how we spell Worcestershire sauce in NH…

We call it Worcester sauce in Massachusetts.

I have tried many, many, many French onion soup recipes, some good some very bad,
This is the best I have found; the sherry is the secret and can not be omitted…

Recipe Name: FRENCH ONION SOUP
Category: SOUP
Serves: 1

SOURCE	SHADOWS

1/2 yellow onion, peeled and sliced for each bowl
1 Tblsp butter for each bowl
1 Tblsp dry sherry for each bowl
Fresh grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
1 1/2 Cup Brown soup stock
salt to taste
French bread toasted

Saute` yellow onion in butter. Place 2 Tbls. onions in a 12-ounce soup bowl, and add dry sherry and cheese. Add the hot soup stock and salt to the bowl.
Serve with a boat of French bread covered with Swiss cheese in the bowl.

I love french onion soup. I have put my onion 1 medium per person sliced, in my crock pot on low, with the butter increased by 2 tbls. and 1/2 cup of beef stock and 1/2 cup of your favorite red wine for about 5-6 hours. This way I can leave them to do their thing. Then finish the soup per usual.

Here’s a variation that my family loves that doesn’t take as long. Use one medium per person. Core the onion about 3/4 way through the middle. Cut a square of heavy foil large enough to make a packet for each onion and place onion on foil. Place 1/2 tbls of butter and buillion cube or 1/2 tbls of buillion powder. Bring foil around the onion to make a packet. Cook in a 325 oven or on the grill until the onions are very soft, usually an hour or so. Make sure you have a nice size soup bowl because you won’t want to lose any of the onions or “soup” when you open the packet. Great.

In the South, we call it Wooster.

tjelley,

I made this…it was awesome. THANKS for the recipe. I didn’t cheat and add sugar. Wow! Regards, Paula

:smiley: Hi everyone, this is John David Cardosa, a retired teacher from Malaysia, 83 years young, and a lifetime food and cooking enthusiast. I have never posted on this forum before, although I have enjoyed Ron Douglas’ Secret Recipes for many years.

I am looking forward to trying out this Recipe for French Onion Soup during the next few days. Thank you for sharing with me. And I will in turn share with you some of the great recipes from my part of the world, South East Asia, which is a melting pot of recipes from East and West.

Thanks again. God bless you all.

John David Cardosa:):):):slight_smile:

Thanks…but gee…all this time I thought it was
“Whats this here sauce” :wink:
Helen Rose

MTMom53 - I simply love your idea… I must try it soon. I will let you know how it turned out for me. Some of you gals have the most wonderful ideas. Thanks a bunch.

I will have to try this recipe both versions since I love onions and I know this soup will be good.

Well!!! I will just have to try it all, to see if it as good as all of you say. I am from the south and we also call it woooster sauce.

I and my family love French onion soup. Icannot wait to make this recipe for my family.

Recipe is very close to the one I make. I use Soy Sauce instead of Sherry but otherwise the same. It is awesome!!!

Sounds wonderful. Can’t wait to try it. Thanks for the recipe.

Hi all … i just joined today - hi, john david - 83 years young! can’t wait to see your recipes. so glad to meet other “foodies.”

thanks t jelley and shadows for your recipes. onion soup is one of my Most favorite foods. look forward to trying these recipes.

I have been preparing a quick home-made French Onion Soup for 30 years and yes, the brandy makes a difference.
BUT 2 issues–do you not work??? Who has 6 hrs at home to tend a pot?
And, I’m sticking with a plain toasted french bread slice; why would I add boxed crouton flavors?

MTMom53 has the best idea…crock pot! I love this idea. I use to make this and stand for what seemed like ‘forever’ while the onions caramelize. Now that I have no cartilege in my knees, I can’t do that. So this was such a great idea! Thanks, MTMom53!

Sharon

My recipe I use is in the Presto canner book , we have a 4 ana 6 quart canner you cook onions in a couple tablespoons of butter for maybe 10 minutes then add rest of ingerdients put cove on bring it up to correct pressure about 10 minutes then cook for one minute then shut heat off. wait till pressure comes back down maybe 1/2 hour when soup is cooled enough I add either dry vermouth or white wine to the soup , I havent found anything easier to make or better. garver brown chetek wi tractorman@charter.net