4 green tomatoes, washed, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1/4 c. of flour
1/2 t. pepper
1/2 c. cornmeal
1/2 c. milk
1 t. salt
1 beaten egg
Canola oil or olive oil

Combine cornmeal, flour, salt and pepper in a shallow platter or plate. Beat egg and add milk. Dip sliced green tomatoes in egg mixture and then coat with cornmeal mixture. Heat oil about 1 inch deep in a frying pan. Drop coated tomato slices into hot oil. Avoid over-handling and turn tomatoes once when browned on the first side. Cook until golden brown. Serve hot. Good with fried fish and potatoes.

Hi there kitchenwitch…

this is a great tasting recipe… It was certainly Deja Vu, when I read it! :lol: :lol:

http://www.www.recipesecrets.net/recipeBB/recipe-exchange-f2/fried-green-tomatoes-with-batter-viewtoph.1247-highlight-.html

Great minds think alike, eh? :lol: :lol:

B-man :lol:

Hey B-man & Kitchenwitch:

Try this dip with your Fried Green Tomatoes. It is wonderful. This is the only dip that I use now.

Red Pepper Mayo dip:

1 Red Pepper Roasted, Peeled & Seeded
1 Cup of Mayo
½ Cup Sour Cream
2 Cups Onions, chopped (white and Green Part)
1 TBSP Capers
2 TBSP shredded Parmesan Cheese
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Finely chop or pulse pepper in food processor

Add remaining ingredients & refrigerate at least 4 hours best overnight

BetK :wink:

Hi BetK…

Sounds like a great dip!. …and Kitchenwitch…you and I will have to give this dip a whirl, on our tomato treat. It was great to see someone else that enjoys Fried green Tomatoes! I got a real chuckle out of Kitchenwitch’ post…I thought…finally, someone else that likes that recipe. The usual response I get when encouraging folks that I know to try them, is “Not … that sounds awful” or some other such response that I can’t post for reasons that would prove to be offensive. But, when I do manage to get someone to actually “try” a sample, it usually involves suprise, and instant conversion! :lol: Truth is, they are great! And, it was great to see the recipe post again…maybe between Kitchenwitch and I we can “convert” more folks to this simple but wonderful treat! What do yah think Kitchenwitch? I’m up to the challenge. :lol: Thanks for the Dip recipe Betk…I will give it a whirl on the fried green tomatoes. Regards,

B-man

Fried Green Tomatoes

Here in Mississippi, you are in the minority if you don’t eat fried green tomatoes.

Here is my family’s favorite recipe.

3-4 large green tomatoes, sliced 1/4" thick
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 tsp cayenne pepper
Salt/Pepper to taste

Dredge tomatoes in above mixture that has been mixed together. Fry 3-4 minutes on each side and drain on paper towels (or large brown paper bags). Do not crowd the skillet, leave approximately 1/2" between each piece. Keep warm in a low temp oven until all are ready to serve. Serve with hot sauce if desired. We just love to salt again and eat. Some people prefer to have a lightly beaten egg in a separate bowl and dip tomato slice in that before dredging in the dry mixture. This is pretty good too.

FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
SERVES 6

1 clove garlic, minced
½ c. fresh basil leaves
½ c. mayonnaise
1 T. lemon juice
¾ c. dry breadcrumbs
1 ¼ t. salt
½ t. pepper
¼ t. cumin
2 lbs. sliced green tomatoes - ½-inch thick
¾ c. flour
2 eggs
¼ c. canola oil
12 cherry tomatoes

Puree garlic, basil, mayo and juice until smooth. Cover; refrigerate. Combine crumbs and seasonings. Sprinkle tomato slices with salt. Coat with flour, shake off excess. Dip in egg, coat with crumbs. Heat oil and fry until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Drain. Serve with cherry tomatoes and basil mayonnaise.

BROILED PARMESAN TOMATOES
SERVES 8

½ c. Parmesan
¼ c. chopped fresh basil
¼ c. fine dry breadcrumbs
3 bacon slices, crumbled
8 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
½ t. salt
½ t. pepper

Sprinkle tomatoes with salt and pepper; place on lightly greased foil-lined sheet. Spoon mixture evenly over halves. Broil 5 inches from heat for 7 to 8 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Serve hot.

B-Man:

I always look forward to the first red tomatoes of the season because I know that soon I can fry up some green ones. It’s a sin here in KY to fry a green tomato before you have ample time to eat some red ones. But when I do fry them, I always serve them with this dip. I hope that you and Kitchenwitch enjoy it.

I’m looking forward to trying some of the other versions posted here. Thanks to everyone who joined in on this one.

BetK :wink:

Hello!

I had never heard of fried green tomatoes… interesting! my mother in law had just given me green tomatoes from her garden and i was wodering what i was going to do with them… now i know! thanks! =)

BetK and B-Man -

I tried the dip and I enjoyed it! I am also “tweaking” it as well. Keep you posted!

Sounds great Kitchenwitch… I’m really looking forward to your modified dip post. We planted our tomatoes late this year…and I managed to “raid” the green tomato section in the last couple of days. So this will be perfect timing! Thanks,

B-man :wink: