Fried Zucchini with Bacon and Onion

Fried Zucchini with Bacon and Onion

2 medium to large fresh Zucchini
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
6 strips of cooked and crumbled bacon
bread crumbs
3 beaten eggs
vegetable oil

Wash and peel the skin from your 2 Zucchini’s and then slice into thin slices. In a small bowl, hand beat your eggs and set aside. In a large frying pan, add enough vegetable oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Turn burner onto medium heat. Stir in finely chopped onion and crumbled bacon. Pour some bread crumbs onto a plate. Dip your sliced Zucchini into egg mixture and then into the bread crumb mixture. Place in the frying pan and fry until the zucchini is soft. Drain on paper towels before serving.

I’ve tried recipes similar to this, and I’ve found that if you add the following steps you’re going to get better results . . .

!) Don’t slice your zucchini too thin . . . 1/8" min. to 1/4" Max.

1. If you don’t dust them in flour or corn starch first (and shake them out in a fine strainer to remove as much as you can), the coating will end up in your pan.

2. If you find that dusting them isn’t enough, and you’re ending up with most of the bacon and onion in the bottom of the bowl with the last bits of raw egg, add some flour or corn starch to the wet ingredients to help bind it.

This really sounds fantastic HOWEVER, I try to avoid making a lot of fried yummy foods at home…BECAUSE I’d eat them on the spot.

I was at my favorite Italian Restaurant for lunch yesterday & the table next to me had ordered an appetizer. When the waiter set it in front of them, it was a total mountain of crisp, fried zucchini, served with a dipping sauce & he sprinkled Parmesan Cheese over it. The zucchini had been sliced length wise, rather than circular. Sure would like to know how the zucchini was kept so crisp…normally I don’t even like it but it sure looked fantastic!!! Any ideas?