Fudge Help

I have tried for several years to make fudge and it just ends up with a terrible texture. Last nights batch was the same cooked to soft ball stage and it ended up tasting like the sugar granulizes again. Please help.

this is the recipe that I used. When I mixed them it instantly became lumpy and started to solidify. The consistancy is like the sugar never dissolved. I would love for it to be like the fudge you buy at specialty stores.

Have you tried using super fine sugar?

Is super fine sugar different than regular granular sugar from C & H or who ever?

Is fudge something that I need to beat with a mixer after it is cooked.

I would have to agree with the post above. IMHO, you can control the texture of the fudge during the first stage (boiling). My mom like the fudge on the dryer side, so i boil it longer.

A fine stream comes from my wooden spoon while cooking, then I know its close to done. I am almost to the point where I do not need to check the “soft ball in a cold cup of water part.”

Here is one other tip i have; after you get all the stuff in the sauce pan to boil, prep your serving plates. Take some low fat butter (using your fingers) rub it all over the surface to keep the fudge from sticking to the plate. You know you have it right when after 10 or so seconds after pouring onto the place it starts to slide around as you spread it out.

Good luck,

Chris

Where can I find low fat butter; I have never heard of it.

Put sugar and water in a pan and put to boil.
Once sugar dissolve add a few tblsp. of milk.
As the syrup boils the scum will rise.
Remove with a strain.
Further boil till the syrup become sticky between the fingers.
(One thread should fall when poured from a tilted spoon).
This is the real method.
if you boil for more time then Sugar recrystallizes.

You have to be extremely careful touching boiled sugar syrup. It will very quickly give you a 2nd degree burn. Professional chefs do it with a method using ice water on fingers, but it is not advised for home cooks.