Fudge not hardening

Cooking fudge and having a problem with it not hardening. Have been doing it for a couple of months now and haven’t had a problem. First, I thought it might be the sugar - it’s a fine granulation. I picked up another brand, same granulation, and it worked fine; now it’s not working so it’s not the sugar. I feel sure it’s not the soft ball temp. because I’ve been careful with that.

Instead of cow milk, I am using goat milk. Could it be that the goat milk has more fat than cow milk and that compromises the amount of butter I am using?

I need some education! Help!

I don’t know what recipe you are using so it’s hard to say - but here’s a recipe for fudge using goat milk:

Goat’s Milk Fudge

• 3 cups sugar
  • 2/3 cup goat’s milk
  • 3/4 cup margarine
  • 6 ounces chocolate chips
  • 7 ounces marshmallow cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine sugar, milk, and margarine in heavy quart sauce pain. Stirring constantly, bring to full rolling boil. Reduce heat to medium, and continue boiling for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in chocolate chips until melted. Add marshmallow cream and vanilla, beating until well blended. Pour into greased 9 x 13 pan. Cool at room temperature. You can add nuts if you wish also. The chocolate chips can be substituted with butterscotch chips, almond bark, etc., if you want to try out different flavors of fudge too.

One thing that can be effecting it is margarine - today’s margarines are so water-based and filled with junk that nothing turns out - but like I said I don’t know what recipe you used or if you used butter or margarine, etc.

whole goat’s milk has slightly more fat than whole cow’s milk

it could be you aren’t getting the chocolate mixture up to the right temperature because i had that problem as well. mine got really frothy, and it stayed semi soft, but my dad told me to put it in the frig for a bit and that worked really well.

Thanks for the answers…do any of you have any recipes for desserts, bars, etc. using goat milk?

Susan