1 quart heavy whipping cream
1 cup water
2 teaspoons chicken base
1 teaspoon white pepper
2 teaspoons minced garlic in oil
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour

Make a rue by mixing together the butter and flour. Over low heat, constantly stirring, mix together rue, whipping cream, minced garlic, paprika and chicken base. Serve over pasta or seafood.

I have two questions. The recipe says “1 cup water”. But the directions don’t say anything about the water. Do you put it in when you’re putting in the other ingredients?

My 2nd question is this–what is chicken base? Is it stock, buillon cube or what? And are there any subs I can do, if necessary? Thanks.

Sorry - I sometimes feel that everyone understands they way I do it without me telling them - 10 lashes with a wet noodle for me (pasta lover here!!)

Stir your chicken base (bouillon) in the water. Usually chicken base can be found next to the bouillon in supermarkets. Some of the “bases” seem fattier than the bouillon and some of the bouillon seem saltier than the bouillon - so it’s a matter of taste.

I usually melt the butter in the pan first, add the flour and cook until well incorporated (or you will have a raw flour taste - and do not burn it or you will have to start over!) Add remaining ingredients; cook until done. Remember LOW heat!

Sorry about the shortcut instructions…

KW