Geez -

it’s so darn cold and the furnace is STILL running - thanks to snow this morning! You wouldn’t think that summer is coming in a month!

So today was homemade chicken vegetable soup and skillet fried chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) in olive oil, plenty of fresh garlic, fresh parsley, salt and pepper. Soup - chicken, carrots, onion, celery, potatoes and barley.

Fresh crusty Italian bread.

Lots of hot tea an hot chocolate today!

Kitchen Witch, when you thaw out a bit, would you please give me the quantity of the ingredients to the chicken vegetable soup? :wink: When you make the soup, do you use the rack of the chicken with some meat on it or something else?

It was too cold to go and buy a chicken so I used frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts!

I put 4 (halves) in an 8-qt. stock pot with 2 ribs of celery (chopped), 1 medium onion (chopped), 3 carrots (sliced), salt , pepper, fresh parsey and I skimmed until the chicken was done. Removed the breasts and diced them. Returned to pot - add 6 white potatoes (cubed) (but it depends on the size they are too!) and a good “shake” of barley (not too much - barley would soak up all the broth). Then I added frozen corn and frozen peas about 2 minutes before the barley and potatoe were cooked. Cooked until good and hot.

Usually I like to use a good-sized hen - but doing it this way (making do with what I had!) I didn’t have to strain and pick through bones!

If you want to add chicken bouillon (of course I had none!) you can add a few spoons (if granular) or 3 to 4 cubes - depending on the amount of salt and the amount of water you have in the pot.

Also - you may add a can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes (and of course - once again - I had none).

I’ve haven’t been well the past couple weeks so I haven’t gone grocery shopping. Can you tell???

Forgive me for not having better measurements - I am so used to “throwing” some things together that I just eyeball it.

I hope this helps some!

KW