Use 1% milk and a small amount of margarine to make this cornbread lower in saturated fat and cholesterol.
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup buttermilk, 1% fat
1 egg, whole
1/4 cup margarine, regular, tub
1 tsp vegetable oil (to grease baking pan)
- Preheat oven to 350? F.
- Mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk and egg. Beat lightly.
- Slowly add buttermilk and egg mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Add margarine and mix by hand or with a mixer for 1 minute.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in an 8 by 8-inch greased baking dish. Cool.
- Cut into 10 squares.
Makes 10 servings–Serving Size: 1 square
Fat 6 g
Saturated fat 1 g
Cholesterol 22 mg
Sodium 94 mg