Grilled Cheese Marinara
8 ounces Mozzarella, Monterey Jack, OR Cheddar Cheese
2 cups crushed Cornbread Crackers
1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 large eggs
Commercial marinara sauce
- Prepare grill for medium-high heat. Place a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil on the grill rack.
- Cut Cheese lengthwise into 1/3 to 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Combine cracker crumbs, Italian Seasoning, and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Working with one piece of cheese at a time, dip cheese slices in beaten egg, coating completely. Coat with crumb mixture; place on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper.
- Place coated cheese strips on foil-lined grill; cover and grill 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until cheese melts. Lift cheese slices with spatula and transfer to serving plates; serve with whole crackers and marinara sauce.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Note: To pan-fry, brush the bottom of a heavy skillet with olive oil; place over medium-high heat until hot. Reduce heat to medium; add cheese slices. Cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until cheese melts.