Hawaiian Baked Beans
1 1/2 lbs. Great Northern White Beans (white beans)
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 large chopped onions
1/2 cup ketchup
4 Tablespoons mustard
2 cups bean water
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 pineapple, cleaned, cored and sliced into 1-inch pieces
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
- Rinse and soak beans overnight for at least 12 hours.
- Place in a large pot and cover by 3 inches with water and bring to a boil. Cook for 40 minutes until skins of beans begin to crinkle.
- Remove from heat and strain. Save the water in a measuring cup or bowl.
- Heat a sauté pan with the vegetable oil until hot. Add the onions and the brown sugar and sauté until the onions start to caramelize.
- Add the ketchup, mustard, salt, pepper, maple syrup, tomato paste, and bean water. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Place the beans and the sautéed onion mixture in an oven-proof baking dish. Stir to combine. Add the saved bean water and enough tap water to make 4 cups total.
- Bake covered in a 350-degree oven for 4 hours.
- Remove from oven and spread the pineapple pieces across the top, replace cover, and continue baking for 1-2 hours more until beans are soft.