Help! Family Reunion cook ahead recipes, please.

I am hosting a very large reunion at my place and my family members usually stay at least 3 days, some will probably stay longer. I need recipes I can freeze ahead and some that will keep in the refrigerator for several days. I am a good baker, so breads I can cope with. It will be over Thanksgiving so Turkey and associated stuff will be in order. We will also barbeque. What I need is large quantity casseroles (vegetables, etc.) that can be frozen ahead and any ideas that will help cut down on the day to day work. I am partially disabled and can’t stand on my feed for hours and hours. We have a good vegetable garden but in November the tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. are mostly gone (we live in coastal Georgia) though we will probably have young greens (mustard, kale, turnips). However, I can rely on home canned and frozen summer vegetables.
Some of us are diabetic, and I am collecting recipes of splenda deserts, but many aren’t. Any ideas for deserts that keep well or can be frozen? I know it may seem early to plan this but I need a lot of time.

Oh, Thank you very much! I am happy to be in contact with someone with your experience and will now visit your website, and follow your advice.

You can increase this recipe to any size you want. Cook and freeze them. When ready to serve, thaw and heat them on the grill with the sauce.

Richard’s Barbecued Pork Ribs

2 full slabs of pork ribs, about 3 pounds each

Spice Rub:

1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons salt
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
4 tablespoons paprika

Mix all spices together. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 C). Rub pork ribs on both sides liberally with mixture. Place ribs on a baking sheet, meaty side up, cover and seal tightly with aluminum foil. Bake 4-5 hours or until fork tender.

In the meantime prepare Barbecue Sauce.

Barbecue Sauce:

Mix together in a medium size pot:

2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 Tablespoon chili flakes or more to taste
1 ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 cup yellow prepared mustard
1 ¼ cups ketchup
½ cup water
12 ounces white vinegar

Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Mix together in a small bowel:
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup corn starch
¼ cup cold water

Stir into sauce and simmer for another 30 minutes.

When ribs are tender, remove the foil and drain off the excess fat. Liberally slather the ribs on the meaty side with the barbecue sauce and heat through.

I have several recipes for large family casseroles two that I can think of are swiss chicken casserole and chicken and cheese lasagna both are very good and serve 8 to 10 people

Thank you very much. I have added your recipe to my list and will try it out on all my hungry relatives. It looks really good. I am especially glad for the rub recipe, as I would never have gotten it right, especially for such a large quantity. The sauce is very much like mine. I didn’t realize I could freeze the cooked ribs and heat them on the grill with the sauce.

You are welcome. Here is another idea:

Chicken Lucerne

12 chicken breast fillets or boneless skinless thighs (My preference)

Salt
2 beaten eggs
1 cup fine plain dry bread crumbs
¼ cup cooking oil
3 tbsp butter
¼ cup all purpose flour
½ tsp pepper
2 ½ cups milk
½ cup dry white wine
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1 avocado, sliced
2 tomatoes, sliced

Pound each chicken breast or thigh between sheets of plastic wrap until about ¼ inch thick. Sprinkle with salt. Dip in beaten egg then into bread crumbs. Heat 2 tablespoons oil. Brown chicken well, a few at a time. Set aside.

In a saucepan, melt butter; blend in flour, ½ tsp salt and pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat and stir in the wine.

Pour ½ the sauce into 13 X 9 X 2 baking dish. Arrange the chicken on top of the sauce, overlapping slightly. Top with the remaining sauce. Cover and chill overnight or freeze. If frozen allow to thaw in the fridge overnight. Bake covered in 350 degrees F. oven until heated through, about 50 minutes. Sprinkle with the cheese. Arrange the avocado and tomato slices on top. Return to the oven for about 2 minutes.