Homemade Granola / Homemade Muesli (vegan)

Homemade Granola / Homemade Muesli (vegan)

One of the culinary highlights of a recent trip to Sweden was discovering the great variety of of tasty granola (or muesli) available. If one of the countless combinations at the grocery store doesn’t suit you, you can easily follow the example of one of my Swedish friends make make your own granola at home. This homemade muesli recipe is endlessly customizable with your own combination of grains, nuts and fruits. Use evaporated cane juice for a vegan version.

INGREDIENTS:

4 cups (1 l) rolled oats or a combination of rolled oats and other grains*
4 ounces (1/4 lb. 125 g) coarsely chopped nuts**
3/4 cup (180 ml) unsalted sunflower seeds
1/3 cup (80 ml) unsweetened shredded or flaked coconut (optional)
1/4 cup (60 ml) flaxseed (optional)
1/3 cup (80 ml) brown sugar, raw sugar or evaporated cane juice
5 tablespoons neutral-flavored cooking oil***
3/4 cup (180 ml) water
1/2 - 1 cup (125-250 ml) raisins or coarsely chopped dried fruit ****

• A typical Swedish combination would be 1/2 rolled oats and 1/2 rolled rye. Since rolled rye is not easily available in the US, I often use oats alone. If I’m in the mood for a more interesting blend of grains, I’ll buy a multi-grain hot cereal blend.

** Pick nuts according to your taste. I’ve tried muesli with almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts and pecans.

*** Corn, canola, or soy/vegetable oil all would work in this recipe.

**** I like substituting coarsely chopped dried cherries for raisins. You can use any fruit that suits your fancy or even a blend of fruits like dried apricots, cranberries, apples, strawberries, papaya etc. When using larger fruits like apricots, be sure to chop them coarsely so pieces are about the size of raisins. If you like a little extra crunch, you can even add coarsely crumbled banana chips to your custom blend.

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Combine grains, nuts, sunflower seeds and optional coconut and flaxseed in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly. Add the sugar and mix again.

Use a little of the oil to lightly grease a large baking pan. Stir together the water and the rest of the oil and pour over the grain and nut mixture in the bowl. Mix well and squeeze the mixture lightly between your hands to help moisten the mixture thoroughly. Spread the mixture in the baking pan.

Bake the mixture for 20-30 minutes on an oven-rack placed at the oven’s midpoint. While you’re baking check on the muesli at least three times and stir so that the grains are evenly roasted. When the grains seem reasonably dry and smell toasty, remove them from the oven and let cool. Mix in the dried fruit and store the cooled muesli in a large, air-tight jar or container.

Serve with yogurt, milk or a soy-based vegan substitute

B-man :wink: