Homemade mash potato

Ingredients
5 large potatoes (peeled, cut into 2.5cm/1in cubes)
60ml/4 tbsp milk (warmed)
50g/2oz butter melted
Salt to taste
1 egg

Method
Finely diced garlic can be added to spice up your potatoes.

1. Boil the potatoes until tender, drain and place into the mixer bowl with the k beater. Mix on speed 3-4
  2. Add the warmed milk, butter and egg, season to taste and mix again on speed 3-4 until smooth.

For really smooth creamy mashed potatoes, steam them rather than boil and pass the cooked potatoes through a ricer of food mill, and then proceed with your warmed milk (or cream) and butter. No need to use an electric mixer.

thanks for ur advice lvdkeyes… :slight_smile:

You are welcome.

Celery Root Mashed Potatoes

6 (abt. 3 lbs) medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
Salt
1 (abt 1 1/4 lbs) large celery root, peeled and diced
4 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
1 cup heavy cream, divided
pepper

Boil the potatoes with a large pinch of salt. Cook until tender, about 30 minutes.

Put the diced celery root in a saucepan with enough water to cover, bring to a boil, loosely cover, reduce heat to simmer. Cook until tender about 30 minutes. They should be the same consistency as the cooked potatoes.

Drain the potatoes. Put them through a ricer and add 2 T. butter and ½ cup of the heavy cream.

Drain celery root and put in a blender with the remaining butter and cream. Puree until smooth, using care as the puree will be
very hot.

Add the celery root puree to the potatoes and mix well. Lightly season with salt and pepper.

When blending the celery root remove from heat and let stand for at least 5 minutes. Transfer to the blender and fill it no more that halfway. Release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that happens with hot liquids. Cover with a towel
and pulse a few times.

Lvdkeyes, so right about pressing potatoes through a ricer, sure makes for fantastic mashed potatoes.

Years ago my dad taught me that to avoid a “last minute mashed potato rush” hey can be finished completely, than placed in a large Pyrex bowl over a kettle of simmering water & covered, stirring occasionally…same method as using a double boiler, but in a larger size. When ready to serve, simply scoop into the serving dish, no lumps, perfect to hold gravy or butter.

Thanks for reminding us about using a ‘ricer’ first.

I also prepare my mashed potatoes ahead and keep them covered over simmering water. It surely makes serving up dinner much easier.

Thanks…hear you…and before we know it, large groups will be here for all those yummy mashed potatoes, gravy, & meat of choice.

Think I better start menu planning?

I just whip my potatoes in the Kitchen Aid mixer. Never had a problem with lumps. The mashed potatoes come out hot, smooth and perfect. I have a nice expensive stainless steel ricer, but it does too little at a time (like 1/2 a potato), the potatoes get cold and it’s too fussy to work with. Potatoes squirt out the top edge as well as the ricer holes. The mixer works fine for me. A small hand mixer also works fine. Don’t use a food processor or blender, however or you will end up with white glue instead of mashed potatoes. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have never used my KA for mashed potatoes. I don’t know why. At times Just for family) I am not too fussy if there are any lumps, so I just use my old fashioned had masher.

You just dump the cooked potatoes in the mixer bowl, use the triangle mixing paddle at low to medium speed. Add milk and butter. In about 30-seconds you have mashed potatoes.

Mashed potatoes with chives

Prep time: 25 min. Cook time: 47 min. Makes about 14 cups

Note: This can be made ahead and refrigerated until baking, but you will need to add 15 to 20 minutes to the baking time.

• Ingredients:

3 1/2 pounds potatoes
1/2 cup sour cream
8 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup chives
Salt and white pepper to taste

• Instructions:

Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes. Cook in boiling salted water until done (about 10 to 12 minutes). Drain, then press potatoes through a ricer.

Add sour cream and cream cheese. Whip with a mixer (a paddle attachment works well). Add chives, plus salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 to 35 minutes (until top is light gold and potatoes are heated through).

Per cup: 164 cal.; 4 g pro.; 21 g carb.; 7 g fat (5 sat., 2 monounsat., 0 polyunsat.); 21 mg chol.; 101 mg sod.; 2 g fiber; 2 g sugar; 40 percent calories from fat.

Source: Sacramento Bee newspaper, Dec 13, 2002