Hostess Cupcakes - Chocolate, Orange and Strawberry+

Browsing down the aisle with Hostess cupcakes -which I usually just make homemade so I usually skip this aisle - I was shocked to see the price of them! I remember when you got a 2-pack for ten cents!

With Halloween fast approaching I see they have Scary Cakes - chocolate cupcakes with orange frosting and a chocolate squiggle.

They also have Frosted Caramel Apple Cake with Cream Filling. Sounds good! So I searched for a recipe - no luck finding Hostess’s - but I did get a recipe I am going to try -

Homemade Hostess Orange Cupcakes

1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick of unsalted butter at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
2 1/2 teaspoons orange zest (from 2 medium oranges)
the juice from 1 medium orange
2 Tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin tin with paper cups or grease.

Using a handheld mixer whip up butter. Add sugar and zest and continue to beat. Add egg, orange juice and milk, beat 2 minutes. In another bowl, combine cake flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well. Add to butter mixture and mix until fully incorporated. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.

Fluffy Vanilla and Marshmallow Filling
1/2 cup marshmallow fluff
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/4 cup Crisco
1 Tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Using a handheld mixer, whip all ingredients until fluffy. Fill a piping bag with frosting and with a cupcake filling tip, fill cupcakes when they have cooled.

Orange Glaze
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 Tablespoon meringue powder
the juice of half an orange
pinch of orange zest

Combine all ingredients adding more sugar until it reaches desired consistency. The meringue powder hardens the glaze slightly. Dip filled cupcake tops into the glaze.
Switch piping bag tip to make a squiggly line with remaining frosting (optional)

Chocolate Hostess Cupcakes

For the cupcakes:
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
3/4 cup Dutch process cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup hot coffee

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl sift together sugar, flour, Dutch process cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, beat together eggs, oil, buttermilk and vanilla and then add into the dry ingredients. Whisk in the hot coffee.
Fill lined muffin cups 2/3 full and bake at 350 degrees F for 18-20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

For the filling:
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup marshmallow creme

In a medium bowl, beat together all filling ingredients. Fill a large piping bag. When cupcakes are cool, press tip into the center and squeeze 1-2 tablespoons of the cream filling into the center. Repeat for all cupcakes.

For the ganache:
3/4 cup cream
7 ounces chocolate
Heat the cream in a saucepan over medium heat stirring frequently until the cream is hot and just starts to boil. Immediately pour the cream over the chocolate and whisk until smooth. Spread warm but slightly cooled ganache over the tops of the filled cupcakes.

For the icing:
1/2 stick butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2-1 tablespoon milk
Once the ganache is set, whip together all icing ingredients until smooth, adding more milk if necessary. Fill a piping bag and pipe on the curls or write fun messages on your cupcakes.
Makes 12 homemade Hostess cupcakes.

Back in 2011 Hostess introduced their Strawberry Cupcakes -to date I have not found their recipe but they sound so good!

Here’s a strawberry cupcake recipe that sounds really good and you can fill it with Hostess’s creme filling or this strawberry filling:

For the strawberry filling:
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar, packed
1 tbsp. heavy cream
1 cup marshmallow cream
4 tbsp. strawberry puree (blend strawberries with a squeeze of lemon juice until smooth, strain).

-In a stand mixer fit with a paddle attachment, cream the butter until smooth.
-Add the powdered sugar and when fully incorporated, add the heavy cream and marshmallow fluff and strawberry puree.
-Mix until all ingredients are blended and refrigerate until cold.

Strawberry Cupcakes
Yield: about 18 cupcakes

2 ½ cups cake flour
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup unsalted butter
1 ½ cups sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup buttermilk
¼ cup oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups chopped strawberries
½ c. strawberries
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 ¾ cups powdered sugar, sifted
½ tsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350°. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
Sift flour, salt and baking soda into a medium bowl. Set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time until combined. Add buttermilk, oil and vanilla and beat until combined. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in chopped strawberries. Fill cupcake wells ¾ full with batter. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
For the frosting, puree strawberries in food processor. Strain through a mesh sieve to remove seeds, and set aside. Beat the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add lemon juice, vanilla and strawberry puree. Adjust the amount of puree to achieve your desired consistency. Frost cupcakes when completely cool.

AND -
Why not make the chocolate cupcakes and fill with a strawberry filling?

Plus after seeing that they have apple caramel cakes - I searched for a recipe I want to try.

Apple Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting

For the Frosting:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons vanilla
12 tablespoons (6 ounces) butter, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup powdered sugar

For the Cupcakes:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons (2 ounces) butter, room temperature
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
6 tablespoons buttermilk
1 1/2 cups shredded apple, peeled

For the Frosting:
Stir sugar and water together in a small pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. (You can stir it up until the sugar dissolves but then DO NOT STIR while it boils or else it will form crystals). Let it boil for 5-6 minutes or until it starts to turn a light caramel brown color. Remove from heat and slowly stream in the cream while stirring. Stir in the vanilla. Let it cool to room temperature (about 30 minutes).

Meanwhile, make the cupcakes. (This is also when I take the butter out of the fridge for the frosting.)

Once the caramel is cool, in a standing mixer, use the paddle attachment to beat the butter and salt together for 3 minutes at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and mix it in starting with a low speed. Add half of the caramel (reserve the rest for drizzling) and beat for 2 minutes on medium speed until light and fluffy (scrape the sides of the bowl as needed).
Place frosting in a piping bag fitted with a star tip and pipe onto cooled cupcakes. Drizzle with caramel and serve.

For the Cupcakes:
Preheat the oven to 350 degree F and line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake paper liners.
In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and ginger together. Set aside.
In the bowl of a standing mixer beat butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg and vanilla. Mix in the flour mixture a little at a time until just combined and then add the buttermilk and mix until combined. Fold in the shredded apple.
Spoon batter into cupcake liners filling them 3/4 full (about 1/4 cup). Bake for 22-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Let cupcakes cool for a few minutes in the tin and then remove onto a rack to cool completely before frosting.

Hostess fills their cupcakes so I searched for a caramel/creme filling recipe:

For the marshmallow filling
1 C Unsalted butter (at room temperature)
2 C Marshmallow fluff
2 C Powdered sugar
Pinch of salt
3 tbsp Heavy whipping cream
3 tbsp Caramel sauce
Allow butter to soften to room temperature. Combine butter and marshmallow fluff and beat on medium-high speed until well combined and fluffy.
Add powered sugar, one cup at a time. Beat on slow speed and increase to medium speed once some of the powdered sugar has been absorbed into the butter. Mixture will be very thick.
Add a pinch of salt and 3 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream. Beat on medium high speed for 3-5 minutes until filling is fluffy.
Pour marshmallow filling in a large piping bag or Ziploc bag and cut off the bottom edge of the bag.
Core out the center of your cooled cupcakes with a knife or spoon, making a small hole. Fill each cupcake with the marshmallow filling.
Drizzle caramel over top of marshmallow filling and swirl into marshmallow with a toothpick. Set aside.

Can’t wait to try this one!