How to cook pork chops

How to cook pork chops

Chops are often cooked using methods such as grilling, broiling, pan-frying, sauteeing, or braising.

Pork Chops
Chops are smaller cuts from the loin primal cut. They are individual serving cuts that are sliced to various thicknesses. Depending in the size of the chop, 1 or 2 chops may be served as a single serving. Single chops may vary from ½" to 1 ½" thick and double rib chops may be as thick as 2 inches. The thickness chosen will depend on how they will be prepared and the appetites to be satisfied. They are available fresh, smoked and bone-in or boneless, varying in quality and composition according to their location on the loin. At times they can be found precooked, ready to heat and serve, and also pre-stuffed.

Blade Chops
Chops that are cut from the shoulder end of the loin. They are very juicy and flavorful but contain more fat, gristle and bone than the other chops and have a tendency to be tough.

Rib Chops
The rib chops are located next to the blade chops at the rib end of the loin. They contain some fat but are tender, juicy and very flavorful. The rib chop, the loin chop and the center cut chop are the most preferred and the most expensive chops.

Loin Chops
They are located in the middle of the loin as part of the center cut subprimal with part of the tenderloin included with it. When the tenderloin section is not included with this chop it is called a center cut chop (sometimes called top loin chops). The loin chop and the center cut chop are very tender and contain little fat but are not quite as flavorful and juicy as the rib chops. The chops have a t-shaped bone similar to a t-bone steak. Loin chops, center cut chops, and rib chops are the more popular chops.

Sirloin Chops
Chops that are cut from the sirloin end of the loin, which is the end closest to the leg. The sirloin chop is a lean cut that contains part of the tenderloin but it is not very flavorful. It also contains more bone than the other chops and has a tendency to be dry. It is one of the least preferred and least expensive of all the chops.

Butterfly Chops
A double chop, generally cut from a boneless loin, which has been cut through the middle from one side to the other side, stopping short of cutting all the way through. The chop is then opened up and laid out flat, forming a butterfly shape. It provides a very appealing cut for those special occasions.

Boneless Chops
Rib and loin chops are available in boneless cuts and in various thicknesses. The boneless cuts provide convenience in preparation and eating, but are generally slightly more expensive that the bone in cuts.

Select the right thickness of chop for the intended use. To grill, broil, braise or stuff, select chops 1 to 1 ½ inches thick, or for a quick sauteeing, select chops that are no more than ½ inch thick.

How to grill pork chops
Marinade chops in the refrigerator the night before. You can also apply a rub to both sides, place in a non-reactive dish, cover and refrigerate overnight. If using a marinade, turning occasionally.
Preheat your grill - you want it hot for cooking your chops.
Allow your chops to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before grilling.
Place chops on grill, close and cook each wide for 3 minutes on HIGH.
Reduce heat to LOW (or raise the grilling rack).
Continue to grill until your chops are cooked through.

Grilled Pork Chops with Garlic Lime Sauce

1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon dried hot red-pepper flakes
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
6 (1/2-inch-thick) boneless pork chops

Whisk together lime juice, garlic, red-pepper flakes, and 1/4 teaspoon salt, then add oil in a slow stream, whisking well. Whisk in cilantro.

Prepare a gas grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-high heat. Pat pork dry and season with salt and pepper. Oil grill rack, then grill pork chops, covered, turning over once, until just cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes total. Serve drizzled with some vinaigrette, and with remainder on the side.

Serves 4

How to broil pork chops
A nice rub for your chops adds flavor; rub into your chops, cover and refrigerate to “marinade” for 30 to 60 minutes. Remove from refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. Grill meat for approximately 10 to 15 minutes or until cooked through.

Broiled Dijon Pork Chops

2 boneless pork top loin chops – cut 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches thick
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon snipped parsley
1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
1/4 teaspoon chopped chives
1/8 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves

Combine vinegar, oil, mustard, parsley, chives, and tarragon in small bowl; whisk until blended. Place pork top loin chops on rack in broiler pan so surface of meat is 4 to 5 inches from heat. Brush chops with mustard mixture and broil 20 minutes, or to desired doneness, turning and brushing with mustard mixture.

How to pan-fry pork chops
Frying is the easiest way to cook meats! Grab a skillet, add a bit of cooking oil, place in your chops, season and cook. You may also want to try this:
After rinsing your chops, pat dry.
Place some flour in a shallow dish; season with salt and pepper; mix well.
In a separate bowl, pour a bit of milk - not much - you can replenish it as you go along. Discard any remaining milk.
Heat your oil in your heavy skillet, ¼-inch deep is a good amount. Make sure it is hot.
Dip each chop9 in the milk, allow excess to drip off and dredge in flour mixture, coating well on both sides.
Place carefully in hot oil and cook until done (cooking time will depend on the thickness of the chops).

Pan Barbecued Pork Chops

1/2 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. ground ginger
1/4 t. pepper
1/8 t. cayenne pepper - optional
2 pork loin chops, 1-inch thick
1 T. vegetable oil
1/4 c. ketchup
2 T. soy sauce - or recude sodium soy sauce
2 T. honey

In small bowl, combine garlic powder, ginger, pepper and cayenne; rub over chops. In a skillet, brown pork chops in oil over medium heat.

Combine ketchup, soy sauce and honey; pour over chops. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until meat is tender and juices run clear.

VARIATION: Substutute 2 boneless chicken breast halves (about 1/2 lb.) for pork chops.

How to saute pork chops
Sauteing is quite similar to frying - preheat your oil in a large heavy skillet and cook chops until nice and golden brown. Chops that are ½ - 1-inch thick will take 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove from heat and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Let chops sit for 8 to 10 minutes.

Sauteed Pork Chops with tomato Sauce

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon oil
4 thick-cut boneless pork chops
salt and ground black pepper
about 1/4 cup all-purpose flour for dredging
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup dry white wine or vermouth
4 canned tomatoes, chopped
1/2 teaspoon minced rosemary
1 tablespoon butter

Heat 1 tablespoon of butter and the oil in a large heavy skillet
over medium heat. Generously sprinkle the pork chops with salt and
pepper, then dredge in flour. Increase heat to medium-high. When
butter stops foaming and starts to brown, arrange chops in single
layer in skillet. Cook chops, turning twice, 4-5 minutes per side or
until golden brown and cooked through. Remove chops from skillet and
keep warm.

Add chicken broth, wine, tomatoes and rosemary to skillet, scraping
and whisking in any browned bits to dissolve as much as possible.
Reduce the liquid to 1/4 cup and quickly whisk in butter. Taste and
correct seasoning. Spoon sauce over the pork chops and serve
immediately.

How to braise pork chops
Slow-cooked in liquid, chops cooked this way will always turn out tender. You can bread (try patting dry after rinsing your chops, and using just bread crumbs instead of flour and egg to save on calories. The crumbs will stick.) and lightly fry with onions, allowing to cook over a low heat while soaking up the cooking broth.

Braised Pork Chops

6 pork chops
2 to 3 medium apples (Granny Smith), cored and sliced
1 large onion, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
10 1/2-oz can chicken bouillon

Season pork with salt and pepper. Place pork, apple slices, and
onion in slow cooker. Add bouillon.

Cook on low for 6 hours. Serve over rice.

can you buy pork fillet?.
I see you mention cilantro…is that coriander ( I`m in Scotland)

WOW ! This is one of the best pork chop topics I’ve ever seen. Bravo !
As far as what is a pork fillet, that truly changes from country to country.
Here, in the US, it could mean a tenderlion, or even a sirlion cut.

cilantro is from the coriander family - I can’t stand coriander - I substitute parsley - much better flavor as far as I’m concerned

Coriander and cilantro are the same herb, just different names.

Wow, what a bunch of great information about pork chops! I have a delicious idea for all who love sauerkraut. Brown both sides of the pork chops in a few drops of olive oil or on your grill. Turn on your slow cooker or crock pot, add as much sauerkraut as you’ll want to serve with your dinner, set the browned pork chops into the cooker, cook on medium for about 2 hours, stirring them around every 20 minutes or so. Ooo Hoo ~ a new twist for pork chops!!

My favorite easiest way to cook pork chops is to salt and pepper them, lightly dust with flour, dip in beaten egg and then coat them with Panko (Japanese style bread crumbs) and fry them in oil until golden brown on one side, flip them over and do the same on the other side. The Panko makes them very crunchy on the outside, yet moist and tender on the inside.

There are lots of types pork chops and I like to cook Butterfly Chops, Loin Chops and Boneless Chops. All provide a very appealing cut for those special occasions.

Thanks for bringing up this topic & everyone’s great ideas… I can cook a lot of things but I’m pork chop impaired. This will really help me! Thanks everyone!

I’ve made pork roasts, cooking for a long time in a Dutch oven in the oven using sauerkraut (yum here) & adding onions, caraway seeds & a bottle of beer but never thought about doing something similar with just chops.

Now I’m on a roll & have many ideas…more thanks!

You can also place pork chops on a piece of parchment. Season with salt and pepper. Top with a ring of bell pepper, slice of onion, a slice of tomato and some mushrooms. Seal the parchment. Place the packets on a baking sheet and bake them. Easy health and delicious. For a dinner party you can prepare the packets in the morning, refrigerate them and bake them later.

… a comment to the first couple of recipes:
When marinating, never leave the meat in the wet marinade for more than 4 hours - certainly not overnight! Salt, acidity and sugars in a marinade will start breaking down the cells of the meat, leaving it looking grey and boiled …
A dry rub, however, can be left on for hours and hours - f.eks. when making pulled pork, one leaves the rub on for 24 hours :slight_smile:

I’m a fairly good cook BUT have never mastered the art of cooking a simple pork chop, this will help.

Thanks!

You’re very welcomed!

never leave the meat in the wet marinade for more than 4 hours - certainly not overnight! Salt, acidity and sugars in a marinade will start breaking down the cells of the meat, leaving it looking grey and boiled …???