I need a breakfast recipe that a little kid would love

My children are obsessed with ihop. They usually are not to picky of eaters, but when it comes to anything that I cook for breakfast they hate it. They always tell me that my breakfast food is not nearly as good as ihop’s. Lately I have given in and taken them to ihop, but it’s beginning to drain my wallet. Even with ihop coupons I can’t afford. I love to cook and would consider myself as a decent chef. Does anyone know any breakfast recipes that little kids would love???

Fluffy Chocolate Pancakes

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Whipped topping
Fresh strawberries, sliced

Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda in medium bowl. Combine buttermilk, egg and oil in separate bowl; add all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened.

Pour about 1/4 cup batter onto preheated, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet. Cook over medium heat about 2 minutes on each side, turning to cook second side when pancakes have a bubbly surface. Serve warm with whipped topping and strawberries, if desired.

Makes 8 to 10 pancakes.

Double Chocolate Pancakes
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 Tbsp. nonalkalized (not Dutch process)
unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking powder
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp. milk
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into bits
1 egg, graded “large”

Into small bowl, sift flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Add chocolate chips. With spoon, blend well.

In small saucepan over low heat, combine milk and butter bits. Stir often just until butter is melted; milk should be warm but must not be hot. Remove from heat. With fork, beat egg to combine; gradually beat in milk-butter mixture. All at once, add liquid mixture to dry ingredients. Stir just until combined.

Heat griddle (preferably nonstick) over medium heat until a few drops of water scattered on it move around rapidly before evaporating. Drop pancake batter onto heated griddle by rounded tablespoons (not measuring tablespoons), spreading batter slightly as you do so. Leave room between pancakes, as they will expand somewhat during cooking. Cook only two pancakes in first batch. These two will give you some indication of timing and whether your heat is too high or too low.

Watch pancakes carefully. As they cook, they will puff up and become full of bubbles. When done, edges will appear set, and bubbles that break on surface will no longer fill in with batter. This should take anywhere from 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 minutes on the first side. Flip pancakes over; cook until lightly browned on second side, about 45 seconds to 1-1/2 minutes. Do not burn. Keep pancakes that are done on heatproof plate in preheated 200 degree F. oven until all have been cooked.

Serve pancakes hot, with butter or slightly softened vanilla ice cream/warmed hot fudge topping/sliced fresh strawberries.

Stuffed French Toast

1/3 cup dried cherries
1 tbsp. golden rum
8 slices egg bread
1 tbsp. chopped almonds
1 large egg
2 egg whites
1/4 cup low fat buttermilk
1 tsp. confectioners’ sugar

In a small bowl, combine the cherries and rum. Let the mixture soak for 10 minutes.
Place a heaavy-gauge nonsdtick baking sheet in the oven and preheat the oven to 400 F. Lay 4 slices of the bread on a large plate. Mix the almonds with the cherries and rum, then scatter 2 tbsp. of the mixture over each slice. Top each with a second slice of bread.
In a small bowl, beat the egg with the egg whites and buttermilk. Pour over the stuffed toast and turn the toast over to coat evenly. Let stand 10 minutes, then press the edges down to seal. Spray the heated baking sheet with nonstick spray. Transfer the stuffed toast to the baking sheet and bake 10 minutes, then turn the toast over and bake until well browned and bubbling, 6 to 7 minutes longer. Dust with confections’ sugar before serving.

Chocolate Gravy
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 pinch salt
2 tablespoons cocoa (I use Hershey)
3 cups milk, but you can use what u like (better with whole)
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:Prep Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
:smiley:
1 In a saucepan combine the sugar, flour, salt and cocoa and cook over medium heat. You will be adding the milk before the dry ingredients start to really cook! :slight_smile: Gradually add the milk. I add 1 Cup at a time stirring. Cook until thick and creamy, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and THEN then stir in the butter and vanilla. Serve over biscuits.

Chocolate Gravy

This thread is awesome AND unhealthy haha. I would suggest veggies and eggs for breakfast. maybe some toast too.

The above recipes sound great. I need a recipe for the little drop donuts served at fairs.
I have the little plunger appliance but NO recipe to use with it.

Drop Donuts

Serves/Makes: 3 dozen

Ingredients:
1 egg
1 cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
3 cups flour
Hot oil or shortening for frying

Directions:
Beat the egg and blend with sugar; stir in milk, then remaining dry ingredients.

Drop by tablespoonfuls into hot fat; fry until brown. Drain on paper towels; when cool, roll in sugar.

Flossy you brought back many old memories for me. My grandmother would make me this for breakfast with some of the biggest cathead biscuits i’d ever seen and it was so good. Aaahhhh those good old days. Thanks for the recipe.

When my children were teenagers, we went through a phase where they wouldn’t take the time to eat breakfast. I used to hand them each a couple of these as they ran for the school bus. I felt good about myself knowing they had a nutritious breakfast in hand! Try these on your little ones. There are many other versions online also.

Morning Glory Muffins - Mayo Clinic Version

MAKES 18 SMALL MUFFINS
Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose (plain) flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup egg substitute (or 3 beaten eggs)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups chopped apples (unpeeled)
1/2 cup raisins or dates
3/4 cup grated carrots
2 tablespoons chopped pecans

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.

In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Whisk to blend evenly.

In a separate bowl, add the egg substitute, oil, applesauce and vanilla. Stir in the apples, raisins and carrots. Add to the flour mixture and blend just until moistened but still slightly lumpy.

Spoon the batter into 18 muffin cups, filling each cup about 2/3 full. Sprinkle with chopped pecans and bake until springy to the touch, about 35 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer the muffins to a wire rack and let cool completely.

Nutritional Analysis(per serving) Serving size: 1 muffin
Calories 170 Cholesterol trace
Protein 3 g Sodium 195 mg
Carbohydrate 25 g Fiber 2 g
Total fat 7 g Potassium 140 mg
Saturated fat 1 g Calcium 17 mg
Monounsaturated fat 2 g

I don’t know how old your kids are but my 8 and 11 year old love these
and their quick to cook,

Breakfast Tacos
4 flour Tortillas
4 eggs
Cheese
Tony’s seasoning
chives
tomato
mushrooms
Meat (any kind)

Beat the eggs in a small bowl. Chop up the remaining ingredients and add to the egg mixture. Scramble the egg mixture in a hot pan. Warm the tortillas in the oven. Place the eggs inside the tortilla, roll up the tortilla and serve.

Breakfast Pizza is a hit in my FACS classes with 7th grade boys.

1/2 English Muffin
1 T pizza sauce
1 scrambled egg (may use all or place on other 1/2 of muffin)
bacon (precooked or make your own)
sausage (optional)
1 T shredded cheese (Mozzarella or cheddar jack)

Precook scrambled eggs if using the microwave add 1 t butter or cook on stove and add 1 T milk for each egg scramble in margarine or oil to prevent sticking.
May precook meat or buy meat already cooked.
Place sauce on muffin add choice of ingredients
Cover with cheese.
Bake at 375 until cheese is melted.

1 cup milk
1 egg
and some raisin,biscuit

Fresh berries (buy whatever is in season where you are – or use frozen)
Yogurt
Granola
Beverage Of Choice

Mix Berries, yogurt and granola.

You can make any flavor pancakes, just use the muffin mixes you buy in the store. Mix as directed on the package and drop into a buttered skillet like you do for pancakes. Serve with your favorite syrup. We use the banana nut and the blueberry like this all the time. When my son comes to visit, he likes me to do the chocolate chip and warm some chocolate syrup. He says he feels like he is visiting France.

I suggest crepes. The beauty of crepes is they can be filled with nearly anything. They’re quite easy to make, but it takes practise to cook them.
A batter can be made and will last 5 days plus in the fridge. Ham, cheeses, fruits, even whipped cream, nuts, and ice cream & toppings, etc. IHOP makes them with an orange syrup, and they’re yummy too.

Crispy French Toast

6 bread slices
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon oil

Beat eggs. Add milk, sugar, and cinnamon and mix together. Use a fork to dip each bread slice into the mixture one at a time. The key here is to dip it in the mixture long enough to soak well, but not too long so you avoid it breaking apart.

Cook bread on a hot griddle or skillet over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Use a potato masher to gently press down so your French toast is crispy and golden in the center without burning the crust.

Serves 3.

Suggested toppings: pure maple syrup, powdered sugar, creamed honey, cream cheese.