Ice Cream Thickeners?

OK so I just got a new ice cream machine…

I only want the best ice cream, so I use all organic ingredients, and to make it creamy I use raw egg yolks… The only problem is that using too many of those makes it eggy tasting (gross!).

I’m totally new at this, so I’ve been researching it a little bit, and it looks like to me the best thickeners to use are guar gum, locust bean gum, and food grade carrageenan (not the toxic degraded carrageenan).

Which of these thickeners are the best? Or are there any better ones? I’m looking for the most natural and best tasting ones

Thanks for any comments

(p.s. unless it’s a few tablespoons i really don’t want to be adding cream to it, yeah and people keep telling me that egg yolks have a lot of fat, but in their raw form its a different type of fat which actually goes to cushioning your brain and joints, not your thighs!!)

I just follow the ice cream machine recipes and I never have a problem with the product not being thick enough once it freezes up.

BTW, using raw eggs exposes you to potential Salmonella poisoning. Most modern recipes provide cooking the egg mixture or using Egg Beaters® egg substitute.

Doesn’t the ice cream thicken as it freezes???

I don’t have an ice cream maker - I just freeze the mixture in a bowl, and I never had problems making the ice cream thicken …

I make a basic ice cream, and add flavour as needed.
Liquid flavour (f.ex. vanilla extract, melted chocolate or fruit coulis) is added to the egg+sugar, when it’s done.
Chunky flavour (crumbled cookies or chopped chocolate) is added when the ice cream is half frozen.

Basic ice cream (recipe per person)

• 2 pasteurized egg yolks (thus salmonella-free)
  • 4 teaspoons of confectioners sugar
  • ½ cup of heavy, whipping cream

Whip the egg yolks and sugar as fluffy and white, as you possibly can. Add flavours if liquid. Whip the cream quite hard.
Fold the egg-sugar-(flavour)-mix into the whipped cream.

Place in a bow (preferrably metal or scilicone) and Freeze.
Check in on it every ½ hour, and scrape the sides of the bowl, so the frozen ice cream is mixed into the still soft ice cream.

Yes actually I have made ice cream before with carageenan (sea weed extract which you can get from indian food shops… as they use it to make something called faluda (indian jelly) )… it was amazing! I reckon its safe to use? I dont remember quantities… but it requires quite a lot before it has any effect…

If you don’t want a frozen custard (which is what ice cream made with eggs really is), go minimal. Two cups of heavy cream, one cup of whole milk, one cup of sugar, and a tablespoon of vanilla go into a medium saucepan. Bring to 170F, let cool slightly, then put in a lidded container and into the fridge to cool and allow flavors to mellow and blend. After a few hours (or even as much as 24 hours), pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and follow the directions. Simple. Easy.

Manitowoc Ice Machine