If you could only make one kind of Christmas Cookie...

Hey Everyone,

If you could only make one kind of Christmas cookie this season what would it be?

I came up w/this idea from our cookie swap @ work next week. Thought it would be neat to share your fav Christmas cookie recipe and why its your fav. I will start w/my Grandmothers recipe, it reminds me of her everytime I make them.

This was my grandmother’s recipe

1/2 stick of butter
1 cup flour
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
1 cup finely chopped nuts

Cram butter and sugar, add vanilla and egg, blend, add flour, salt, and nuts. This can all be done in food processor or mixer in that order. Put dough in refrig and chill until firm. Roll into 3/4" inch balls and bake at 350 til golden. About 12 min. more or less. Cool. When still slightly warm, roll in confectioners sugar.

I use a mixture of nuts, or whatever I have on hand. Today it was pecans, walnuts, and almond. And sometimes we add Cocoa (we don’t measure just do it to our taste) for Chocolate flavored ones.

A recipe I just love…

Buttery Cookie Fingers

1 cup finely chopped pecans
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
1(16-ounce) box powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Combine all ingredients except for powdered sugar. Roll into small “fingers” or balls. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes. Roll immediately in powdered sugar.
Enjoy
KML

Yum Yum Cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup oil
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup rice krispies
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup chopped nuts
3 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 325. Cream butter and sugars. Add egg and oil. Stir in oatmeal, rice krispies, coconut, and nuts. Finally add the flour, baking soda, salt and vanilla. Mix well. Form into small balls, place on a ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 12 minutes. Cool briefly on cookie sheet befor removing to wire rack.

if i could make one cookie this christmas it would be my gram’s cookies that she used to make only during the holidays. i don’t know the name of them but haven’t had them in over 15 years.

they were to tender and flaky. don’t know what kind they were. just that they were hungarian, a little over a 1/4 inch thick, a light golden colour (not shortbread) with ground walnuts sprinkled on top. i miss her so much.

happy holidays everyone,

rho

KW, this is a cool story! Its so sad tho that you don’t have a daughter to pass it along.

j

Hi, I want to make this for Christmas and don’t want to sound stupid but by Oriental Noodles do you mean Ramen noodles? are they packaged like ramen noodles but w/out the seasonings? I will have to take a look tomorrow when I am shopping. Thanks for the post.
j

no, those would more than likely be dry chow mein noodles.

rho