ISO . . . Soft submarine sandwich bun recipe

Hi . . . I’m looking for a recipe for the soft submarine sandwich buns like the one’s you can buy commercially. The yeast bun recipes I have come out too firm . . . not like the soft ones. Thanks. DG

I’ve made these a few times now and would highly recommend them. Only changes I’ve made to the original recipe are:

1. Only add 2-1/2 tablespoons sugar (4 tablespoons makes them taste like sweet dough in my opinion).
  2. Add 2 tsp. honey to the water/yeast solution instead of the 1 tsp. sugar for a little extra flavor.

They’re easy to make . . . just make sure you don’t add too much flour. You want the dough to be slightly tacky to the touch, but not sticky. As soon as you reach that point don’t add any more flour. And dividing the dough into 6 buns seems just right. Also, depending on your oven, the bake time will vary. In my oven they took only 16 minutes (conventional, not a convection oven) . . . but you’ll want to check them in the last couple of minutes and pull them when you see your desired golden color. DG