Italian Onion Soup - an old family favorite!
1/4 cup olive oil
6 large yellow onions, sliced
2 cups whole canned tomatoes, crushed and strained
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 hot pepper, chopped
3 Tbs. parsley
6 cups vegetable broth
Italian bread sliced and toasted
Pecorino Romano, grated
- Sautee onions in olive oil until tender and slightly caramelized.
- Add garlic and cook for a minute or two.
- Add the tomatoes, pepper and parsley and bring to a boil.
- Add the broth and bring back to a boil and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve by placing a slice of toasted bread, sprinkle some cheese and ladle the soup over.