Italian Stuffed Tomatoes - here’s another family favorite!
6 large tomatoes
1 cup minced onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb. Italian Sausage
1 cup cooked wild rice
1/2 cup diced apples
1/2 cup finely chopped basil
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
extra virgin olive oil
salt and freshly cracked pepper
- Wash and dry off tomatoes.
- Cut the top quarter inch of the tomatoes off.
- Cut enough off of the top of the tomato to allow you to clean out the center of the tomato comfortably.
- Clean out the center of the tomato.
- Set tomatoes aside until ready to stuff.
- Save the pulp of the tomatoes and use it in the stuffing mixture.
- Heat up a sauté pan on the stove and add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Add the onions and garlic.
- Sauté for approximately two minutes
- Add the Italian Sausage and cook completely.
- Add wild rice, tomato pulp diced apples, and freshly chopped basil. Stir to incorporate all ingredients.
- Add parmesan cheese.
- Salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Place hollowed out tomatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the tomatoes.
- Using a large spoon, divide the mixture evenly between the tomatoes and fill tomatoes completely.
- Sprinkle with salt and freshly cracked pepper.
- Place in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or until tomatoes are soft.
- Remove tomatoes from oven, top with additional grated parmesan cheese if desired.
- Serve with freshly sautéed vegetables from the garden.