I've had this for quite some time -

I’ve had this for quite some time and I would like to share it with you (I mean I had the RECIPE for quite some time - I have not made this particular one!) LOL!!!

Dagwood Bumstead Sandwich

3 lg Onions
1 Head lettuce
4 Tomatoes, sliced
1 Lobster tail
1 Eagle talon
1 Fish (pref.2-days old)
1 Pot spaghetti - Cold and gooey
1 lb Bacon (cooked?)
1 Meatloaf
1 Ham
1 Fried egg (over easy)
1 String of sausages
1 Mayonnaise, gallon
1 Jar of pickle relish
1 Tin of sardine in oil
1 Bottle of ketchup
1 Bottle Sweet mustard
1 Hot mustard
1 Loaf Bread
Assorted cheese
Assorted vegetables
Assorted olives

Now that he has announced joining his wife’s catering business, cartoon chowhound Dagwood Bumstead is releasing the recipe
for his famous Dagwood sandwich. See ingredients above. See
directions below.

DIRECTIONS: Arrange the ingredients between two slices of bread.
Serves one.

OK OK - on a more serious note: This Blondie does make Dagwoods - and as far as I’m concerned - ANYTHING GOES!!!

Mangia!!

Dagwood Sandwich

Named after Dagwood Bumstead, a character in the “Blondie” comic strip, this very tall sandwich is piled high with meats, cheeses, condiments and vegetables for a dramatic presentation. To keep layers from falling over, skewer them on a spindle or with a bamboo skewer.

* 10 slices crusty white bread
* Assorted fresh greens (green leaf, shredded romaine, red leaf and Boston lettuces)
* 1/4 pound each pepperjack cheese, white American cheese, white provolone cheese, cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
* 1/4 pound each turkey, pastrami, salami, Capocollo ham, pepperoni and roast beef, thinly sliced
* 1 ripe large-sized tomato, thinly sliced
* 1/2 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
* 4 pieces Boar's Head bacon, cooked crisp (available in the supermarket meat case)

Building the Sandwich

1. Lay out five slices of bread. Layer two with green leaf lettuce. Layer each of the remaining three with one of the following: shredded romaine, red leaf lettuce or Boston lettuce.

2. Layer the first green leaf sandwich half with three slices pepperjack cheese, next add turkey and top with four tomato slices. Cover with another slice of bread and place on spindle.

3. Layer second green leaf sandwich half with three white American cheese slices, add pastrami slices and top with slice of bread. Place on spindle.

4. Layer shredded romaine sandwich half with three slices of provolone cheese; on top of cheese, shingle two slices of salami, next fold one ham slice and place on salami. Then shingle two slices of pepperoni, fold and add one ham slice; top with yellow peppers and bread slice. Place on spindle.

5. Layer red leaf sandwich half with three slices cheddar, two slices tomato, fold and add roast beef; top with bread slice. Place on spindle.

6. Layer Boston lettuce sandwich with three slices tomato, add four pieces bacon and top with bread. Place on spindle.

7. Garnish top of completed sandwich with cherry tomato skewered by a toothpick.

Even Emeril makes this:

Dagwood Stacked Sandwich

1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
Pinch Essence, recipe follows
10 thick slices white sandwich bread
1/4 pound sliced pepperoni
1/4 pound thinly sliced Swiss cheese
1/2 pound thinly sliced turkey breast
1/4 pound thinly sliced provolone
1/2 pound thinly sliced roast beef
1/4 pound thinly sliced mild Cheddar
1/2 pound thinly sliced pastrami
1/4 pound thinly sliced pepper jack cheese or Monterey jack if pepper jack is too spicy
1/2 pound sliced salami
5 pieces thick-cut bacon, cooked crisp and halved
1 medium tomato, cut into thin slices (about 5)
10 whole green leaf lettuce leaves, washed, patted dry, and stem end removed
3 red cherry tomatoes
3 small pickle slices
3 long metal skewers
Potato chips, accompaniment

Combine mayonnaise and mustard in a small bowl. Season with chopped garlic and Essence.

Arrange 5 bread slices on a large cutting board. Spread 2 tablespoons of the mayonnaise mixture evenly on each slice.

Layer the meat and cheeses evenly among the bread slices in this order: pepperoni, Swiss, turkey, provolone, roast beef, cheddar, pastrami, pepper jack, and salami. (Fold the meats so that the sandwiches will stack evenly on top of each other.) Top each of the sandwiches with tomato slices and the remaining bread slices.

Spread about 1 tablespoon of the mayonnaise mixture on top of each sandwich and lay 2 bacon halves on top of each sandwich.

Place 1 cherry tomato and 1 pickle slice through each skewer.

Carefully build the Dagwood Sandwich by stacking all 5 sandwiches on top of each other. Separate the sandwiches by placing 2 lettuce leaves in between.

To keep the sandwich tower from falling over, fit the skewers into the sandwich tower all the way through the center. To serve, pull off the desired amount of bread, meat and cheese, and serve with potato chips on the side.

Emeril’s ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly.

Yield: 2/3 cup

Super dagwood sandwich

1 lbs Loaf French bread
2 tbsp Butter, softened (optional)
8 oz Ham, fully cooked, thinly sliced
6 oz Provolone cheese, sliced
3 tbsp Thousand Island dressing
4 oz Turkey, cooked, thinly sliced
4 oz Salami, thinly sliced
2 tbsp Butter, melted
1 tbsp Toasted sesame seeds

1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2 Using an electric or serrated knife, slice the bread horizontally into 3 equal pieces.
3 Spread the first piece with half of the softened butter, (if using).
4 Top with the ham, provolone cheese and half of the thousand island dressing.
5 Place the second piece of the bread on top.
6 Spread with the remaining softened butter, if using.
7 Top with the turkey, salami, remaining thousand island dressing and the top slice of bread.
8 Place loaf on a baking sheet.
9 Stir together the 2 tbls melted butter and the sesame seed.
10 Brush the mixture over the top and sides of the loaf.
11 Cover loosely with foil.
12 Bake in the 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.
13 Remove the foil and bake for 5 minutes more.
14 Slice to serve.
15 If you prefer a cold sandwich, you can also add lettuce, sprouts and/or slices of tomato, onion and/or green sweet pepper

Dagwood Sandwich

1 loaf unsliced Pullman bread
8 small dill pickles
10 leaves green leaf lettuce
10 thin slices tomato
5 slices bologna
5 slices turkey breast
5 slices American cheese
5 slices salami
5 slices ham
5 slices Swiss cheese
5 thin slices red onion
¼ cup Italian dressing

For the Dagwood
Pickle Sticks
8 10" bamboo skewers
8 large stuffed green olives
8 cherry peppers
8 large pitted black olives
8 pepperoncinis
8 small dill pickles

1. Laying your knife flat, cut the Pullman loaf in half, lengthwise

2. Cut the two halves in half again the same way. You should now have four long flat slices of bread. Set the top two aside

3. Separate the bottom two slices and splash the bottom layer of bread with half of the Italian dressing

4. Layer on first: five lettuce leaves, then five slices of tomato. Now layer on the bologna, turkey and American cheese

5. Top this lower sandwich half with a center slice of bread and set aside

6. Now separate the top two slices of bread, laying the center slice down and the top slice aside

7. On the center slice, lay down first, five lettuce leaves, then five tomato slices. Layer on the ham, salami and Swiss cheese. Top with the onions and splash the onions with the remaining Italian dressing

For the Dagwood Pickle Sticks:

8. Place the top slice of bread on top

9. To assemble: place the top sandwich half on the bottom sandwich half and hold together with: Dagwood Pickle Sticks

10. On each skewer, place one green olive, one cherry pepper, one black olive, one pepperoncini and one pickle

11. Slide them all the way to the top of the skewer

12. Stab the pickle sticks down through the two sandwich halves, evenly dividing the loaf into eight equal portions

13. Cut the sandwich vertically between the sticks and serve

You left a very important ingredient off the Dagwood Bumstead sandwich a layer of pepto- bismol ,cause someone is going to have one major tummy ache if they try that one ! The other dagwoods sounded very good. Would be great with a big pot of vegetable soup this winter.

horselover -

I absolutely love to “build” sandwiches! Haven’t found anyone yet who hasn’t liked them - most can’t finish them in one sitting!

Wow!!! OMG you would need a whole bottle of PEPTO or a whole case of cokes. Ouch, I feel a tummy ache coming on to.

I guess it would take about four meals for me to finish one and how in the world would I ever bit into one they are so mamouth, but they sure do sound so good especially the one you have. Good going

The next time we have a big party I am going to make some of those they just sound so good that I won’t be able to pass them up and I think maybe on Labor day would be a good time to have a big party.

Thanks for the good recipes!!!

I’ll also add red and green peppers, cucumbers, chives, and radishes to the sandwiches. My family didn’t believe me when I did this. Only thing was, not to be a glutton, I divided it into quarters and ate it that way. 4 good meals out of it, though.

building a sandwich like this give you a complete meals or meals!! I do the same with cukes, peppers and radishes as well.