Killer crepes

I heard there is this killer recipe crepes in japan where they make an awesome crepes. The standard paris crepes gets sogy after sitting on the plate for a few minutes. I think it has to do with how they mix the flour. Anyone has any ideas? I have tried all the standard crepes recipe. Can anyone find out?

angelo

Hi angelo111. I wish I could help you. I’ve heard so often how wonderful crepes are but I agree, the ones I’ve had are soggy. I won’t even order them…or eat them anywhere. I hope someone has a solution for you. I’d really like to try a great tasting, non-soggy crepe. Thanks for bringing up this topic.

I found this recipe. It had a photo and they were cone shaped and hand held. I haven’t tried them.

Japanese Crepes

Makes 3 to 4 ten-inch crepes

2 eggs at room temperature
½ cup flour
½ teaspoon Koon-Chun kansui****
¼ cup milk
¼ cup water
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 tablespoon butter, divided, for frying

In a medium sized bowl, beat the eggs with a fork.
Combine the milk, water, kansui, and salt in a measuring cup. Add the liquid, flour, and melted butter to the eggs.
Melt a teaspoon of butter in a 10-inch cast iron frying pan. Pour a quarter to a third of the batter into the pan. Swirl the pan to cover the bottom and make a round crepe. Cook until the edges are brown and lacy, and bubbles begin to appear. Japanese crepes are not browned very much. Flip the crepe and cook for a minute or two. Crepes can be stacked.
Do use more than just a scoop of ice cream to fill! My lack of imagination!
Put the filling of your choice on a generous quarter of the crepe, fold it in half, then roll it into quarters. Use a piece of parchment to hold the cone.

****Definition Kansui contains one or more of the designated food additives:
Potassium Carbonate, Sodium Carbonate, Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate, and potassium
or sodium salt of phosphoric acids.
There are three types of Kansui: Solid Kansui, Liquid Kansui, and Diluted Powder
Kansui which is diluted with flour.