Kitchen Tip: Pan-Roasting Chicken

Kitchen Tip: Pan-Roasting Chicken

Here’s one Chef’s secret for pan-roasting chicken — it’s a quick method that involves browning the meat in a skillet on the stovetop (to seal in the flavors), and then transferring the chicken to a hot oven to finish the cooking. Use bone-in chicken breasts, split or whole, and consider cooking extra portions to refrigerate for later use.

Pan-Roasting Chicken:

Preheat oven to 325°F.

Season bone-in chicken breasts on all sides with salt and pepper.
Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
Add chicken, brown one side, turn over, and transfer the entire skillet to the oven.

Cook for around 20 to 25 minutes, until the internal temperature of the meat is 165°F. A boneless chicken breast will take less time: 15 to 20 minutes. Use an instant-read thermometer to determine if it’s done.

Before you put the chicken in the oven, season it with a splash of white wine, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, or lemon juice plus fresh herbs. Or add aromatic vegetables such as garlic, onion, and peppers to the pan to roast along with the chicken.

B-man :smiley:

When grilling, spray meat with butter flavored or olive oil flavored cooking spray before putting it on the grill. It seals in the juices and keeps the meat from sticking to the grill.

Almost sounds like an echo, in this thread!

B-man :smiley:

I do it with a whole chicken… lightly oil or butter the chicken, then season chicken as you desire… paprika, salt, pepper, etc

preheat oven… hot… above 450, heat cast iron skillet, then add or spray skillet with a little oil.

I use 2 large spoons or wooden utenzils to lift chicken underneath & in rear opening, put it in skillet for a few minutes, turning on several sides, starting with breast side. Turn on back, then stick in oven for about 10 minutes, then turn dow heat to 325-350… I take out of oven with internal temp is 160.
total cooking time, about 1 hr 15 mins, depending on size.
can prick to see if juices run clear in thigh or deep in breast.