Krautburgers

KRAUTBURGERS

We used to make these several times a semester where I worked.   They are named for the contents of the filling, so no one should feel offended; they aren’t politically incorrect.  I hope you enjoy them as much as we did.  We used pizza dough because it was easily available and we made so many, but in adjusting this for a home quantity, I chose to use the frozen bread dough, for better flavor and consistency. Don’t forget to thaw it before you begin.

INGREDIENTS:
2 - 1 Lb. loaves frozen bread dough, thawed
1 Lb. ground beef, lean
1 Lb. ground pork, lean
¼ Cup flour
2 Medium large onions, sliced thinly lengthwise
1 Medium large head of cabbage, shredded (like for coleslaw)
1 tsp. Caraway seed (you can use 2 tsp. if you want more)
½ tsp. Dill weed, dried ( you can use 1 tsp. if you want more)
2 Tbsp. prepared mustard, best quality (may use Brown mustard, if preferred)
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste

METHOD:

1. Brown ground meats until almost not pink (drain excess fat, leaving 4 – 6 Tbsp.) Add onions and cabbage and continue cooking until meat no longer shows pink and onions and cabbage are quite limp. Sprinkle flour over all and stir to mix well. Mixture should have no liquid now. Remove from heat. Add Caraway, Dill, and mustard, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Cover with foil and set aside.
  2. Roll, on a floured surface, 1 loaf of bread dough (which has risen once, not necessarily doubled) to a ¼ inch thickness. Cut into 5 or 6 inch squares.
  3. Place ¼ Cup plus 1 Tbsp meat mixture on each square. Bring corners together and pinch along seams to seal the dough. Place seam-side down on baking sheet sprinkled with corn meal to prevent sticking. Allow to rise 20 minutes. Repeat steps 2 and 3 with other loaf.
  4. Bake at 375F for about 20 minutes or until brown. Brush tops with melted butter or margarine after removing from oven. Serve with additional mustard for smearing or dipping.

I would love to hear from anyone who tries this, just to know what you think.

Hey, yummy recipe! I have a similar recipe to this that’s a little healthier. With all the additions, you don’t even notice it’s turkey.

Sauerkraut Turkey Burger Patties

1 lb ground dark turkey meat
1 large egg
1 3/4 cups sauerkraut, drained and fairly dry, divided
1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon whole grain mustard (or dejon type)
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon sage, rubbed (optional)
vegetable oil cooking spray
4 slices aged cheddar cheese
4 hamburger buns, toasted and librally spread with mustard (optional)

1. Thouroughly mix together, chicken, turkey, egg, 3/4 cup saurkraut, onion, wostershire sauce, mustard, pepper, and sage if using.

2. Divide mix into 4 patties. Spray a non stick frypan generously with veggie spray; heat to a sizzle. Add patties, reduce heat to medium, cook for about 3 minutes, 'til well browned and flip, cook another 3 minutes, put lid on frypan and cook another 8 minutes; remove lid and place a slice of cheese on top of each pattie, put lid back on and cook another 5 or 6 minutes or until the cheese melts.

3. Remove to plate on top of toasted bottom of roll; place 1/4 cup saurkraut on top of each pattie; top with other half of roll.

4. Or alternately leave the roll out and serve with mustard, veggies and potatoes.

Really yummy! I’ll have to try yours when I feel more like having beef.