Lamb Medallions with white Bean Puree
(makes 2 servings)
2 8-ounce (240 g) loin lamb chops, boned, fat and tail removed, and tied
1 tablespoon (15 ml) balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic minced
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) Dijon mustard
White Bean Puree:
olive oil cooking spray
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) chopped fresh sage
1 teaspoon (5 ml) balsamic vinegar
1/8 teaspoon (0.6 ml) salt (optional)
freshly ground pepper
fresh tarragon sprigs for garnish
1 15-ounce (425 g) cannellini beans, drained, rinsed, and drained again
1 4-ounce (120 g) plum tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- On a small plate, combine the vinegar, garlic, and mustard. Place the medallions on the plate, turning them to cover with the marinade. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lightly coat a small nonstick skillet with cooking spray; add the onions and cook, stirring, over medium heat until onions wilt, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Place the beans in food processor or blender. Add the cooked onion, sage, and vinegar, along with salt (if using) and pepper. Process until smooth. Transfer to a covered container to take to the picnic site.
- Light a grill or preheat the broiler. Grill lamb medallions about 7 minutes total time, turning once, for medium rare.
- Transfer from grill to a carving board. Let sit for 10 minutes, then remove the string and slice into thin strips. Pack slices in a covered container to take to the picnic site.
Per serving: 371 calories (27% calories from fat), 37 g protein, 11 g total fat (4.6 g saturated fat), 29 g carbohydrate, 7 g dietary fiber, 95 mg cholesterol, 424 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 4 lean protein (meat), 2 carbohydrate (1 1/2 bread/starch and 1 vegetable)