Lean Or Lavish???

Lean or lavish??? Either way - everyone was happy!!

I shared a recipe from our sister site - SMR-Daily Recipes-Low Carb & Diabetic with a friend who is on a low-carb diet with her hubbie. She followed the recipe and I made it with a few changes. This is the original recipe and I am leaving the nutritional info with this:

Creamy Chicken & Potatoes

10 oz can reduced-fat cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
4 medium green onions, chopped
4 oz sliced boneless skinless chicken breast halves, rinsed and patted dry
1 lb new potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
Coarsely ground black pepper

1 In a medium mixing bowl, combine the soup, sour cream and all but 2 Tbsp of the onions and set aside.
2 Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, smooth side down, and cook 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned. Turn pieces over, add potatoes, and pour soup mixture evenly over all.
3 Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover tightly, and simmer 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center and potatoes are tender, stirring midway. Top with remaining green onions to serve.

Servings: 4

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1 serving
Percent daily values based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.

Amount Per Serving
Calories 235.52
Calories From Fat (19%) 44.05
% Daily Value
Total Fat4.95g 8%
Saturated Fat 2.72g 14%
Cholesterol 32.49mg 11%
Sodium 295.30mg 12%
Potassium 1156.99mg 33%
Carbohydrates 36.83g 12%
Dietary Fiber 2.80g 11%
Sugar 0.69g
Sugar Alcohols 0.00g
Net Carbohydrates 34.03g
Protein 11.96g 24%

Steamed Asparagus
1 kg frozen or fresh green asparagus

Put still frozen asparagus in a pot, add 1/4 cup of water, cover, and steam at highest temperature. When the steam starts to show, lower the temperature at the minimum and leave for 10 minutes.

Servings: 5
Ready in: 30 minutes

Nutrition Facts
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.

Amount Per Serving
Calories 40.00
Calories From Fat (5%) 1.99
% Daily Value
Total Fat0.24g 0%
Saturated Fat 0.09g 0%
Cholesterol 0.00mg 0%
Sodium 4.00mg 0%
Potassium 404.00mg 12%
Carbohydrates 7.76g 3%
Dietary Fiber 4.20g 17%
Sugar 3.76g
Sugar Alcohols 0.00g
Net Carbohydrates 3.56g
Protein 4.40g 9%

Caramel Apples
2 1/2 caramel candies, cut small pieces
1/2 Tbs dark or light corn syrup
1 large tart apple, cored, and cut into bite-sized pieces

1 In a 1-cup measure or similar microwave-safe bowl, combine the caramels and corn syrup. Microwave on high power for 30 seconds. Stir and microwave for 15 additional seconds, or until the caramels are completely melted.
2 Stir well, and mix in the apple pieces, stirring to coat them with syrup. Cool slightly. Divide into two servings. Eat with a fork.
3 Comments: Caramel and apple make a great combination! This easy variation calls for cored apple cut into pieces and stirred into the syrup. An added advantage is that you can make this recipe with very little candy.

Servings: 2

Nutrition Facts

Amount Per Serving
Calories 120.00
Calories From Fat (7%) 8.64
% Daily Value
Total Fat1.00g 2%
Saturated Fat 1.00g 5%
Cholesterol 1.00mg 0%
Sodium 35.00mg 1%
Carbohydrates 28.00g 9%
Dietary Fiber 3.00g 12%
Net Carbohydrates 25.00g
Protein 1.00g 2%

Meanwhile I made the same menu - except I used regular cream of mushroom soup and sour cream instead of reduced fat. I also added sliced carrots with the potatoes.

Steamed pearl onions with the asparagus - added a mushroom sauce made from cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, milk, and cracked black pepper.

My version of caramel apples:

Butterscotch Sauce
(about 2 cups)

1 cup dark corn syrup
1 cup sugar, or 1/2 granulated and 1/2 light brown sugar
1/2 cup half-and-half cream
2 tbsp butter
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients except vanilla in saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full rolling boil. Boil briskly 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.

Add vanilla and serve warm.

NOTE: The sauce may be stored in refrigerator. To reheat, place in a pan of hot, not boiling, water, until sauce has thinned to pouring consistency.

Served over: (vanilla ice cream available if needed!)

Apple Cake

1/4 cup Butter or margarine
1 Egg
1/4 teaspoon Soda
3/4 teaspoon Baking powder
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Flour
2 cups Apples – chopped
1/2 cup Nuts – chopped

Combine; pour into 9-inch square baking pan; 350* F. until done - about 45 minutes.

And I don’t think I want to know the nutritional info on what I made - but both households enjoyed what they had for dinner!!!