Looking for a new twist on funeral potatoes.

Every potluck I attend I usually make funeral potatoes (cheesy potato casserole.) I usually follow the standard recipe of frozen hash-browns, cheddar cheese, sour cream, and some caned cream soups. I mix it up every once in a while by adding bacon or broccoli, and by changing the soups or cheese. Now with the Christmas party coming up I wanted to try something new. I’ve been playing with the idea of using sweet potatoes and pepper-jack. I’m not sure how the cream soup/sour cream mixture will go with sweet potatoes. I think the pepper-jack could work. Any comments on the idea would be appreciated.

It’s REALLY good using frosted flakes on top instead of regular cornflakes. A friend’s wife did that by mistake once. The sweet goes very well with the savory flavors in the rest of the dish.

Real potatoes always seem to come out starchy. I thought about using yellow and red potatoes but end the end lazy won. I added pepperjack cheese, pepperoni, olives and mushrooms. Not my favorite rendition but they were good. I’ll try frosted flakes sometime. I have used ritz crackers before and that’s not bad.

Use fresh potatoes instead of frozen . If you want to utilize this one you can try it.
Sweet Chille New Potatoes with Sausage & Mint Pea Sauce - A Summer Take On Bangers & Spuds

Ingredients

*  12 good quality sausages of your choice
*  16 to 20 new baby potatoes
*  2 to 3 tbs of good mayo
*  2 to 3 tbs of sweet chille sauce
*  2 cups of frozen or fresh peas
*  2 sprigs of fresh mint
*  1 tbs of sugar (if peas aren't very sweet)
*  1 to 2 tbs of cream
*  Salt & Pepper
*  1 Onion finely sliced
*  Small bunch of finely chopped chives to finish

Method

* Cook your sausages which way you like. (yummy on the bbq) At same time boil up your baby new potatoes in salted water.
  While they are cooking, finely chop the onion and sweat off or soften with olive oil adding salt half way through, you don’t want them to end up being too crisp, just slightly golden brown and soft.
  Mix your mayo and sweet chille sauce (check out my recipe for sweet chile jam) in a bowl – equal quantities.
  Cook your peas for one minute in boiling water – add salt, half the sugar, and the mint. Drain (keeping 1 or 2 tbs of the flavoured water) add the peas and mint into blender, add some of the water, sugar (to taste - if your peas are deliciously sweet you will not need much sugar if any at all!!) and cream. Blend until fine – if you want it to be a sauce add enough water and cream, if you would prefer a puree, don’t add so much of the flavoured water and cream! Season to taste.
  Drain your potatoes, add the mayo/sweet chille mix, the softened onions, chives, a touch of salt & pepper and stir gently until evenly coated…

Serve with the cooked sausage and mint pea sauce…
Yum Yum! Enjoy!