Looking for Poutine recipe??

My daughter recently went to Canada and had fries with a Poutine (I may not be spelling that right) sauce and cheese that she said was delicious. Anyone know how to make it??

http://www.thumper.net/tlkmag/archive/fun/poutine/

This is a fun page about making poutines!

I dont have a recipe per-say but i can give you my version.

Here poutine has fries-poutine sauce-and yellow chesse curds. BUt there are so many diff ways to make this.
You can buy a poutine sauce in a can, thats low priced and good.But you may not be able to find it there.
Alot of places when making poutine just use gravey on top. I have had it with a beef or chicken(which ever you prefer.
So a easy way to make is to put ur fries in the oven cook to directions, then pour and can of your favorite gravy on top…then top with your favorite shredded chesse…chedder or mozzeralla…put back in oven till chesse is melted.
When I first moved here i thought this sounded terrible, then I ate it and havent stopped !! LOL.

EASY POUTINE

* 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
* 1 (10.25 ounce) can beef gravy
* 5 medium potatoes, cut into fries
* 2 cups cheese curds

DIRECTIONS:

1. Heat oil in a deep fryer or deep heavy skillet to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C). While the oil is heating, you can begin to warm your gravy.
  2. Place the fries into the hot oil, and cook until light brown, about 5 minutes. Make the fries in batches if necessary to allow them room to move a little in the oil. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
  3. Place the fries on a serving platter, and sprinkle the cheese over them. Ladle gravy over the fries and cheese, and serve immediately.

Variations:

Add cut up cooked chicken or hamburger.

Use shredded mozzarella cheese in place of cheese curds.

Italian Poutine: Substitute marinara for gravy.

BBQ Poutine: Substitute a light BBQ sauce for gravy.

Hi Kit!

Poutine is just fries with gravy and cheese curds. You can use any gravy that you like. You can use shredded mozzarella cheese instead of the cheese curds. However, a true Canadian poutine is made with white cheddar cheese curds. To understand what “cheese curds” are, check out this site (you can order from them too)

For “Texas Fries”, substitute chili for the gravy.

Best Ever Poutine

1 lb. new potatoes
1 lb. sweet potatoes
1 lb. cheese curds
¼ cup butter
1-¼ cups onion, finely chopped
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 cups beef stock, heated
1 tbsp brandy (optional)
1 tbsp instant coffee (optional)
1 tbsp heavy cream

Thinly slice potatoes.

In large pan cook onions in butter on a medium low heat for 12-15 minutes until the onions are lightly browned. Do not rush, the onions need to be well cooked. Sprinkle flour into pan, stir well, add salt and pepper, cook 2-3 minutes. Add the warm stock and brandy, cook uncovered 4-5 minutes until thickened. Strain gravy through a metal sieve, return to heat. add heavy cream and instant coffee (coffee added for colour).

Fry potatoes in deep fryer. Remove potatoes from oil and sprinkle with course salt. Pour hot gravy over potatoes slices and sprinkle with cheese curds.

Your daughter is right! It is a very good recipe.

I live on the border of Canada and have been eating poutines for as long as I can remember. It is very easy actually. All you need is either home made fries (peel, slice and fry your own fries) or even store bought ones but the home fries are the best.
I usually use the broth from a chicken that I have cooked. I add onions to it and bring it to a boil. I add salt and pepper to taste and sometimes some MSG to enhance the flavor. I thicken the broth with corn starch (use the box directions). Once the gravy is cooked, set it aside. Place fries in a bowl or plate and add either shredded mozzerella cheese or cheese curds. I find the curds are better. Ladel the hot gravy over the fries and voila, you have a plain poutine.
You can also use the fatty substance that remains in a pan after frying pork chops or steak. Add onions to it, let it brown a little and then add 6 cups water, salt, pepper to taste and thicken with corn starch once it starts boiling. Then ladel onto the fries. Enjoy!!
Ravenhair