Looking for two Canning recipes: Pears and Crab Apples

I hit the jackpot today. A dear friend of mine’s mother has a large plot of land that is filled with pear trees and every kind of apple you can imagine. She let us come today and pick a crap load of crab apples and pears. I am trying to decide what to do with these now and would like any recipes you may have to help me decide :D.

Thanks in advance!!!

Oh…and btw…it doesn’t have to be jelly or jams…I am looking for different things to can as well. So I am open to anything. But it does have to be a recipe for jarring/canning. Thanks again.

Is there no one out there that has any favorite recipes?:cry:

what you lost??? What happened?

Gourmet 7 apple Butter: Yield 4 pints
1]1-lb ea Jonathons, Pippins, Mcintosh, Roman , Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith [you can adjust sugar to taste]
2]Core but don’t peel and slice. Cook with half the amount of water as you have in fruit.
3] blend in processor
4] Cook down in large kettle about 20 min, STIR CONSTANTLY/
5]When it starts to thicken: measure pulp and stir in 1C sugar for every 3C pulp. Cook til thick and glossy.
6] Stir in 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ea allspice, cloves, salt.
7] Remove from heat and pour into hot jars and seal.

QUICK APPLE BUTTER yield 6 pints
1] Combine in large pot: 12C apple pulp,4-55C sugar 9to your taste0,1/2C cider vinegar,
and 1C redhots or cinnamon candies-crushed
2] Cook all til thick and candy disolves about 20-25 min. Stir frequently
3] Pour into hot jars and seal.

PEAR PICKLES YIELD 3-4 PINTS
1]Wash, peel, coreand slice lengthwise 14-16 ripe pears. Immediately place in bowl of water with 1T vinegar.
2] Combine in saucepan:2 1/2C sugar, 1 1/4C vinegar and 1C water and bring to a boil.
3] Add spices tied in cheesecloth: 2tsp whole ginger,2Tb whole cloves,7-3"cinnamon stix
4] Cover and boil5 minutes then remove spice bag.
5] Drain pears and put in hot jars. Pour in syrup to within 1" from top. Adjust lids
6] Process in boiling water bath 212 degrees times 15 min.
7] Use clean rings and new self sealing, clean lids
Recipes from Farm Journal Freezing & Canning Cookbook, 1964

Remember A] have a pot of water at slow boil for rings and lids, and your tongs & ladle! and B] be boiling your jars in the water bath canner while the fruit is cooking. Use sterile tongs to lift and drain jars for fillinf. Use sterile ladle or tongs to put fruit in jars. Any jar lid that does not “ping” should be refrigerated for immediate use as it did not seal and should not be placed in the pantry.

Hope this gives some ideas for you.  YUM wish I had such access to the fruit.  FSULady

Thanks FSULady…those Pear pickles look yummy!