Low-Fat Old-Fashioned Potato Salad
(makes 8 servings)
2 pounds (960 g) Yukon Gold or red potatoes, cut into 1-inch (5 cm) chunks
2 tablespoons (30 ml) fat-free sour cream
1 tablespoon (15 ml) white wine vinegar
3/4 cup (90 g) thinly sliced celery
1/4 cup (40 g) minced red onion
1/4 cup (39 g) minced dill pickle
1/4 cup (56 g) reduced-fat mayonnaise
1/4 cup (57 g) nonfat plain yogurt
2 teaspoons (10 ml) Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt (optional)
freshly ground pepper
1 hard-cooked egg, sliced (optional)chopped fresh dill or flat-leaf parsley for garnish (optional)
- Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling water for about 6 to 8 minutes, until tender. Drain well and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the sour cream and vinegar to the potatoes; stir to coat evenly. Add the red onion, celery, and chopped dill pickle.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard, salt (if using) and pepper to taste.
- Pour over potatoes and gently stir to evenly coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or up to 8 hours.
- Serve cold, garnishing just before serving with the sliced hard-cooked egg and chopped dill (if using).
Per serving: 129 calories (19% calories from fat), 3 g protein, 3 g total fat (0.6 g saturated fat), 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 3 mg cholesterol, 177 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 1 1/2 carbohydrate (1 1/2 bread/starch)